Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out to Barbour Ponds today to catch carp for bait. I really go through it. Will post back later when I return.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nailed the carp yesterday! They were going like they were just coming out of spawn. Caught 14, all weighing between 17 and 25 lbs. I kept three and let the rest go. Awesome fishing!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First have your poles spooled with at least 25 lb test. Use a slip sinker system. I place one egg sinker, 3 ounces, on the line followed by a bead, then add a 1/0 barrel swivel, and attach two feet of 30 lb test monofilament. ( 25 works too!) Then I add my two #4 hooks, one on the bottom and one midway up. The one closest to the swivel I tie to a dropper loop. Then I add my bait. My bait recipe is simple. Soak two pounds of field corn until soft. Add two cups of vanilla and two cups of strawberry Nesquik. Mix together and refrigerate for two days. Then you are ready to go. Make sure when you bait up ad cast out that you keep your line TIGHT so you will see the littlest strikes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Add two cups of vanilla and two cups of strawberry Nesquik.
is that 2 cups vanilla nesquik and 2 cups strawberry nesquik or was it 2 cups vanilla extract instead?

·
Registered
200 Posts
thats whats great about this website. you can learn things that would otherwise take years to find out. i think he means vanilla nesquick because two cups of extract would be a hell of alot. adding a little extract sounds like a good idea though.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats why i asked that would be alot of extract but if that was the secrete ingredient id feel pretty foolish makeing up gallons of worthles glop

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually it is two cups of imitation vanilla extract.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually make two gallon buckets full at a time when I make my carp bait, so two cups vanilla seems to be just right.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
good thing i asked i can just see some of the guys with buckets full that used vanilla nesquick cussing up a storm right now

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I saw a catfish eat a purple grape once...so id bet they would chow on some Strawberry flavored carp goo with no problems.

However, i think i would stick to the more traditions "meat, liver, or stink" type baits...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife and I actually catch more catfish than carp on my bait. But they are all small, less than 10 inches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts