Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went up to barker to see the hippies. as always caught half a dozen trout under 7". I swear they must stock 20k of the 3-5 inchers every week. I can not keep the damn things off my hook.
no salmon once again. fished all the way around the lake with all kinds of things. caught a couple keeper trout (biggest at 13.5") with metal one with bait and one with both...I caught someone else's abandoned line that had a trout already on it. looked like it had been on there for a day or two. was going to let it go because I didn't really catch it myself but it was so hooked that I couldn't get it out without injury. some good time trying to recover it and it wouldn't stay upright so it came home.
I really enjoy the lake but it continues to only bring me tiny fish beaten to hell because everyone else has caught them too. if I was a big fish I don't see why I'd ever take a lure when there is an ample supply of tiny trout.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If you want bigger trout you must go elsewhere young grasshoppa!
Fixed for ya

And btw... you need to start taking pictures. Those of us bound by the four walls of insanity that is our offices need to live vicariously through our CF brethren.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elsewhere else I'd want to be with big trout is far....and windy...and there's no hippie with a BBQ stand.
I wanted salmon. got trout. I'm fairly convinced that barker is not a great place to catch fish but it is a nice place to go fishing.

pictures are on my phone, I'll see if I can't migrate one or two to the desktop. if you've seen 4 trout between 11 and 13" you know you're not missing anything epic in the pic dept.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Pics of little trout are undesirable. However, pics of hot hippie chics in Nederland are surely welcome!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nothing I hate more...
Dirty, hairy, chicks.

The only thing that likes them...
are gnats, fleas, and ticks.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
So, do you bill all this CF time to clients! :thumb:
It's "research" >:D

But seriously, no I don't. It non-chargeable admin time.

To get to 45 billable hours a week (current requirement) I have to work 50-55 hours a week.

In my opinion the billable hour is dead. That's how firms judge how "valuable" you are to them. The slowest idiot that bills the most hours wins. I just can't do it. Working slow is like torture. So I end up taking on more work because I knock out projects faster than the rest yet there is no recognition of that since the only important metric is billable hours. That's my biggest pet peeve of public accounting. I really wish they'd move to a project based system. It'd be a bigger benefit to clients as well. They'd have a better idea what something will cost them.

*end of off topic rant* :biggrin1:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just can't do it. Working slow is like torture. So I end up taking on more work because I knock out projects faster than the rest yet there is no recognition of that since the only important metric is billable hours. That's my biggest pet peeve of public accounting. I really wish they'd move to a project based system. It'd be a bigger benefit to clients as well. They'd have a better idea what something will cost them.
hang out your own shingle. us self employed types work more to get paid more or work less and get paid less....and get to go fishing on tuesdays....nevermind that I wont have an actual weekend this month, my boss sucks and I'm not sure I've paid for the insurance yet.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'm quite confident that Barker does not have kokes. And if it did at any point, it no longer does.

Go to Gross Res. It's close, has big trout, and actually has kokes. It is also Hell, full disclosure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm quite confident that Barker does not have kokes. And if it did at any point, it no longer does.

Go to Gross Res. It's close, has big trout, and actually has kokes. It is also Hell, full disclosure.
I've caught Kokes at Barker - two this summer. might not have many more.

Why is Gross Res hell? I've not been there for a decade (and then not to fish).

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Bag limit for Kokes is 10 fish... is that high?!?!?

I understand they die after spawning when they are a few years old but are they naturally sustainable when there is a bag limit of 10?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bag limit for Kokes is 10 fish... is that high?!?!?

I understand they die after spawning when they are a few years old but are they naturally sustainable when there is a bag limit of 10?
There isn't much that's naturally sustainable....
10 is pretty much the limit everywhere.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'm surprised they stock kokes there, so random. But I still wouldn't fish Barker.

Gross is hell because

-Shore access is difficult (very steep).
-It can get insanely windy up there.
-The bite can be very tough, though a few anglers on this forum seemed to have cracked it.
-The boating regulations are brutal, basically canoe only.

BUT, there are big tigers, lakers, kokes, and bows and browns.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I have heard Gross described as shaped like a martini glass.

I'm goofy enough to consider giving it a try during ice season.

I agree with all the below regarding Gross.

I'm surprised they stock kokes there, so random. But I still wouldn't fish Barker.

Gross is hell because

-Shore access is difficult (very steep).
-It can get insanely windy up there.
-The bite can be very tough, though a few anglers on this forum seemed to have cracked it.
-The boating regulations are brutal, basically canoe only.

BUT, there are big tigers, lakers, kokes, and bows and browns.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have heard Gross described as shaped like a martini glass.

I'm goofy enough to consider giving it a try during ice season.

I agree with all the below regarding Gross.

Yeah, I'm surprised they allow ice fishing there. Pretty sure it wasn't in the past because of changing water levels. Would be interesting to stick a Vex in the deeper parts.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised they allow ice fishing there. Pretty sure it wasn't in the past because of changing water levels. Would be interesting to stick a Vex in the deeper parts.
It's tough to mark fish at gross, ESP bottom. Since it's so deep and vertical drop the fish finders tend to pick up rocks and structure creating a false bottom. There are some areas where they work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts