Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice. I tied some using a conehead bead cause that's all I had. Also, I had a few beers and couldn't get the feather wings looking right, so a few stubby goose biots filled in nicely. Turned out to be a pretty good fly!

I hardly ever fish Stones unless I know a hatch is near/past. Do you think they could be a good winter fly to get my 2 fly rig down deep? Can fish get scared off by such a large fly when they're used to size 22 midges all day long?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
rmalling said:
I hardly ever fish Stones unless I know a hatch is near/past. Do you think they could be a good winter fly to get my 2 fly rig down deep? Can fish get scared off by such a large fly when they're used to size 22 midges all day long?
Interesting question for sure. I don't think they do for the most part... I have used an analid as a lead fly in crystal clear water and had a lot of success.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Remember that stone flies take a couple of years to develope, and are crawlling around all year long under water. I fish some big heavy stones on the ark in the winter, like size 4 and 6 big. I personally don't like putting alot of weight on the line and tend to make some heavy flies to get down. You will be suprised at how many fish will clobber a big fly in the winter. Usually I find that I will catch bigger fish with big stones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts