Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been ice fishing for a couple years now but haven't ever done any warmwater ice fishing. I've been getting some lake trout action here and there but wanted to try something else. So, within the last couple weeks, I decided to try a different spot. It wasn't completely new to me because I've fished it during the summer but I've never iced it before. The two times I tried it, I got bites but wasn't able to hook the fish. Both times, I went in the afternoon. Today, I went early and got there before sunrise. I got my hole drilled and set up my rod with a minnow suspended just below the bottom. Just as I was getting my second rod ready, I got bit and was finally able to sink the hook in. It was a dink bass but I was stoked nonetheless because it was my first ever through the ice. I then hurried up and dropped down a fresh minnow. I ended up getting bit within a couple minutes and the fish felt much nicer. I fought it for a minute or two on my light line and just as I got it up to the hole, I got broke off. It's was a nice bass so I was definitely bummed but I dropped back down again as fast as I could. Before long, I got bit again. I worked the fish up to the surface with more care and grabbed her. It was a bass and definitely much nicer than the smaller one I caught at first. I was pretty pleased because I felt like my persistence paid off. I caught a few more bass and then after things slowed down, I move my minnow up a foot or two. In hardly any time at all, I got bit again. This time it was a decent crappie. Another first through the ice for me. It was a really fun couple of hours and I'm glad I mustered the energy to get up this morning because I was pretty tired.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm really excited to get back out and fish this particular spot again. There are definitely bigger bass in there and this experience really got me primed to go out and chase them. Last time, I was using medium and small shiners-i had a decent mix. But, the larger ones seemed to work much better. So, I think next time I'll get a couple large ones to experiment try out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm really excited to get back out and fish this particular spot again. There are definitely bigger bass in there and this experience really got me primed to go out and chase them. Last time, I was using medium and small shiners-a had a decent mix. But, the larger ones seemed to work much better. So, I think next time I'll get a couple large ones to experiment try out.
I do reckon a big ol bait would give you a sporting chance at calling in that beast. Like throwing big swimbaits your in it for quality over quantity and teasing that biggun with a hearty meal will give you some confidence when chasing monsters. More often than not you'll hook into better fish utilizing a larger bait and wish you luck whompuscat658..... take that gopro you got and post up a short clip..... be careful you don't show us where your fishing at, I wouldn't want want to see a fellow angler lose his newfound honey hole

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice work, Whomp! You might have inspired me to get out and fish this weekend. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts