Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine caught this largemouth bass with a black panther marting with a gold spoon. When he landed the bass it was bleeding an incredible amount for just being hooked with a size 8 hook. Looking inside the mouth of the bass we saw fishing line and a huge soft plastic bluegill. We attempted to remove the lure but in the process the fish passed away. We thought we might be able to save its life but in the end we did more harm then good and we are truly sorry for that.

Has any else experienced something like before in those ponds?

Why are they so low now?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats a bummer but it is amazing that the fish still hit your lure with that stuck in its throat

·
Registered
664 Posts
Kudos for trying. I've heard (and experienced) that in these situations it's usually best to leave the fish and let nature take it's course. My understanding is that fish have very acidic mouths and hooks dissolve rather quickly so often they actually live through such an ordeal.

I once caught a rainbow that had a piece of mono sticking out of it's mouth. It had been gut hooked and the previous fisherman had just cut the line and let it go. The fish appeared to be somewhat healthy and was eating so I cut the mono as short as I could and let it go. It may still be swimming around, who knows.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When I deep hook a fish I always cut the line and let it go, I have caught many fish hooked the same way and they always seem to be doing fine and eating.

·
Registered
514 Posts
caught a trout two weeks ago with a rusty trebble in its throat. dont know how it could still eat but it nailed my lure. i catch a lot of bluegill in those ponds but never any big bass like that. some little ones now and again. do you guys have good luck there?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have heard the fish will be ok, but who knows. Good attempt at helping it out is all I can say. I know it wasnt my lure at Prospect, cause I havent fished there in a while!! How big was the bass?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we estimate he/she was about 13 inches. Caught near the reed where the cement and rail fixtures are near a big cottonwood on the south side of the big pond with all the island and trees in it.

Thanks to everyone who offered advise. I will just cut them loose the next time.
Lonny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts