Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a friend from Georgia out fishing and he has never caught a trout before.  All in all we caught about 100 fish (trout, crappie, and smaller largemouth bass).  Some jackass in a float tube decided to paddle right over the top of the school of crappie and right were we were casting.  So i cast my lure and it landed about 3 inches from his tube.  He gave me a look like WTF.  Then he caught a stocker and stopped kicking.  He floated to about 10 ft from the canoe. Dude,  there is a whole lake... why do you feel the need to get in our space. I dont know why people have to be like that.  Then he kicked away and almost ran into peoples lines that were bottom fishing for trout. 

I'll have to get the pictures from my friend that show a nice trout we caught.  Here are some others

I tried wacky wormin for the first time as well.  I caught a few bass that way too. I know there are some big bass in here, i caught them last year, i just havnt found them yet.  Still searchin.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I got no problem telling someone they need to stop crowding me or they'll be wearing their ass for a hat. :mad: No need to put up with idiots on the water.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice crappie man. how was the wind? i see you were in a canoe

you said you got into a school of them? thats good to hear. ive only caught 1 here 1 there sofar i gotta get down there quick with how small the lake is right now even i might be able to find the crappie

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rome - Nice report and nice fish, too! How's the water level looking for this year? Can you fish the channels on the far north end?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishinwithlund said:
What where you catching the crappie on?
We were catching the bass, trout, and crappie all on the same lure.  The plastic in the mouth of the bass was catching everything.  We were experimenting with colors, you just have to find the ones that were working matched with the correct presentation.

roadkill said:
how was the wind? i see you were in a canoe
you said you got into a school of them?
The wind was fine.  Slight breese that kept the sweat shirts on but not to bad.  The canoe was fine in the wind, but if it gets to bad it sucks.  We were catching bigger ones before the guy kicked over the top, then the bite died, then when they started biting again, they were all small. 

fishhunter said:
Rome - Nice report and nice fish, too! How's the water level looking for this year? Can you fish the channels on the far north end?
The water level is still really low.  The channels in the far noth end are still out of the water, but there are channels not as far north that are covered and lined with small trees.  I'd say the water level is at least 15 vertical feet low.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Brush Hollow Res near Penrose

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
was the school near some cover or did you find them in open water? and did you get a water temp?

thanks for all the good info

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Actually the good news about the low water level is-it will probably keep the numbers of fishermen down. And all the fish are still in there-just not in the obvious places they were when the water was up in the trees.

Brush Hollow has had way more low water years over the past 20 than years when its been full.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roadkill, The school (and i am sure there are many down there), was over (or around) some structure. Last fall when the water level was really low, i went down there and took the canoe out and drew myself a map with all the structure i could find, river channels, humps, bayes, ... etc. Since the boat ramp was out of the water, i was the only one out there. Then over the winter, i studied up on crappie and bass, and a little on walleye, and learned how to set and read my fish finder without the "fish ID" on. I am getting beter at the whole setup and finding fish. Ive done quite a bit of homework, now i just have to catch a walleye there (it would be my first one ever). I'm thinking they are in the old river channel that runs from the inlet (or whatever you would call it) by the Dam and straight north, or in the north shallows, especially at night. I am thinking of going down there after dark sometime and trying that out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is the boat ramp out of the water still?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We fish brush hollow every spring for walleye. But never before April 15. We have had very good luck on a silver/blue rattle trap along the dam. There have been mornings we can catch upto 20 walleye and few bass.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I want to go so bad Friday but if the ramp is just barely in the water i will have a hard time launching my boat on my own. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i knew it was going to come up so i took a few pictures of the water level.   O0

This one is hard to see, but there are two trucks on the right side, normally they would be underwater

This was the boat ramp from the other side of the lake, i appologize i didnt get any better pictures. 

Wow, they are super small, they look pretty worthless on the forum.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey rome i got my first (and only sofar) walley out of the hollow last year theres a pic of it here someware. i got it off the steep rocky shore west of the dam late at night from the boat bottom bouncing a medium shinner. im hoping to spend more time trying again this year

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey guys, speaking of walleyes, I think there's a fish warning at BH this year for high mercury levels. So I guess you probably shouldn't eat the fish you catch there unless you want to set off the metal detector at the airport or become a handy hanger for your kid's refrigerator magnets.

·
Registered
530 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts