Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I kinda look at fishing rods like i do hunting rifles....anything will work if need be, but its better to arm yourself with the right gear if you have that option. (polar bears have been killed with .22 caliber rifles, but that doesnt mean thats what id choose to hunt one with  :) )

so, there are couple things to consider.  your casting style and ability will be an important factor when deciding on a fly rod for bass, and also the size bass you will be chasing and the size bugs you plan on throwing.  for this region a 6 weight will work, but if you are throwing for larger fish a 7-9 weight might work better.  i throw larger flies with less effort with an 8 weight, and it makes a difference when you spend a long day in a float tube bucking wind. throwing 3/0 bass flies with a 6 weight grows old kinda quick...ive tried it.   i usually bass fish with a 7 or 8 weight around here, just for ease of casting large flies and levering up bigger fish out of weeds and cover (well, when i catch bigger fish, that is...)  Back east i had no issues with fishing a 9 weight...bass were on average bigger and the cover was heavier so i could justify a beefier rod.  i know some guys that fish slower action 8 weights for bass, although i am a fast action rod kinda guy...but with proper technique slow rods cast very well with large flies or no. 

if you only fish for bass once in awhile your 5 or 6 weight will work fine...but if you plan on doing it on a regular basis you might want to go a bit heavier.  and plus, you can turn around and use that rod for wipers or large trout or pike...so if you can justify the expense it might be worth it.

if you dont have alot to spend, go look at some of the heavier weight rods in some of the retail stores around here...you will find something that will work no problem, it doesnt have to be a $650.00 Thomas and Thomas...although those are nice   ;)

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Welcome Castel to the forum! Its nice to see some new faces...

I gotta disagree with you though also...while its possible to cast a heavy Dahlburg or other bass bug with a 6 weight, the amount of effort and strain you would put on your rod would be more than i would want to deal with for long periods of fishing. A heavier rod would be more suitable for such applications, not to mention a better setup for dealng with large or heavy fish. Most of us here have tried this at one time or another, and im thinking would agree?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.