Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
If you need a 8wt rod to cast a bass bug you might just consider getting a 7ft broom handle instead. ;)

A 6wt will work in most conditions, even turning over a #1/0 Dahlburg diver. Just remember that bass typically aren't leader shy, so go with a 7.5ft 1x tapered leader or just tie 2.5 ft of 10lb mono below 5ft of 15 lb mono.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.... :)

While I will agree that you can turn over larger flies at distance with a 7 or 8 wt rod, very seldom have I found that I need to make a cast over 60 feet for bass.  Kayaks, kick boats and float tubes get me in close to the fish and most casts are 40ft and under.

Now for my mea culpa:  I am a Texan who will soon be moving to Colorado for a new job.  I read & post to a few Texas boards and am glad to have found what seems to be an active and friendly chat about Colorado fishing.  Also, for most bass fishing where I live, I use a 4 wt. rod, unless the wind is up.

Here is a photo I took of a buddy of mine on the Pedernales River in the Texas Hill Country.  We were both fishing 4wt rods that day and did very well:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.