Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
At first glance this may look like just another "fish-kill" but for a lot of private waters...this has to happen if you want the lake to fish well year after year.

Weeding out the smaller bass makes room for larger bass to feed and grow. If left unchecked, bass populations can overcrowd and a lot of bad things start to occur such as stunting and starvation. Hundreds of lean fish in the same size is the first sign you've got an overcrowding problem.

In some cases, a lake will balance itself naturally but most private pond managers have gotten into the habit of going back annually and taking a certain number of fish out in the 8 to 12 inch range. These sizes are most plentiful (in most cases) and Spring is typically the best time for this practice.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Matt has it exactly right. They are removing smaller fish to lessen the overcrowding and putting back the big ones. Although unless this is a small pond I doubt if 84 bass are gonna make much of a difference.

We need to do this on many of our waters-instead we are doing exactly the opposite-allowing anglers to keep bass OVER 15". That ensures removal of many of the decent sized fish. And all the small fish get returned to the water where they overcrowd and have stunted growth. If you want to see how it all ends up just fish Pueblo where you can catch 20 or 30 bass in a day and not one is 15". Ed

·
Banned
487 Posts
Again, this is why the 15" minimum length limit is a complete joke. Bass over that size need to be released. I wonder what they had in their pipes when they were smoking before they came up with this lunacy.

D

·
0 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Again, this is why the 15" minimum length limit is a complete joke. Bass over that size need to be released. I wonder what they had in their pipes when they were smoking before they came up with this lunacy.
What is "required" all depends on the fishery.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When i lived in Eastern kansas my family farm on the Missouri side had six ponds. My uncle managed them all differently. The biggest pond would get to many small bass about every five years and he would make me the designated assassin! You can kick alot of yearling #ss pretty easy on a small lake! LOL.

D

·
0 Posts
Neal/CO said:
When i lived in Eastern kansas my family farm on the Missouri side had six ponds.
Boy, Neal-

If you lived in Eastern Kansas when I did you could have been my best friend!!  Ha, ha, ha!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Those were the days! I have a painting of our farm house hanging above my desk!

Where did you live Don? I lived in the Shawnee Mission and Lenexa area.

D

·
0 Posts
Neal-

I grew up in El Dorado. Fished a lot of the farm ponds in the Flint Hills and caught crappie and white bass in Toronto, Fall River, Marion Res., and Council Grove. Channel cats and flatheads on trotlines and limb lines. Graduated from high school in '66 and went to college in Winfield. I lived in Kirwin, KS for a year (1970) and fished Kirwin, Norton (now called Sebelius) and Cedar Bluff a lot.

It was a great place to grow up back then. My folks never had to worry about me. I was always at the river or on a pond somewhere, usually with my best fishin' buddy, my Grandpa!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts