Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked out a few places for bass fishing in Colorado, Quincy, Carter, Cherry Creek and the Chatfield Ponds but have had absolutely no luck, not even a bite. Can any one clue me in on some good spots to try within 2 hours of Denver? Any tips on lures would be greatly appreciated, since I have always fished for trout and my bass knowledge is pretty much nil. Also I don?t have a boat so I?m really looking for places where shore fishing will work.

Thanks all, this is a great site.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually all of those places you mentioned are all top Colorado bass waters. Also Sawhill Ponds near Boulder and Pella Crossing between Longmont and Boulder are also good places. There's a lot of big bass at Pella, but they can be tough to catch at times. Also, Horsetooth Res, near Fort Collins, and Chatfield Lake are both excelllent smallmouth fisheries. I've heard great things about Aurora but have never fished there.

For largemouths, fish spots with ample vegetation and structure--submerged trees, weedbeds, brush piles, etc. As far as lures go, you can't go wrong with fishing plastic worms, using a slow, rise-and-fall presentation along the bottom. Bass will usually take the worm on the fall or while the worm is sitting on the bottom; so either keep your line tight or closely watch your line for movement. In addition to worms; spinnerbaits, skirted jigs, jerkbaits, crankbaits and tube jigs all work well, and topwater plugs do well on cloudy days and at night.

Smallmouths prefer hard-bottomed, rocky areas. Also, the main forage for smallmouths in many lakes are crayfish. Tube jigs work very well for smallies, especially when bouncing them along the bottom, while periodically allowed them to rest on the bottom (which is when most strikes will occur). Also plastic grubs on lead jigheads, tipped with half a crawler, work well, as do plastic worms, spinnerbaits, crankbaits and jerkbaits. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to downsize you baits when switching from largemouths to smallmouths.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been having great luck at spratt.I've been there four times and all four times i've got a fish over 3lbs.I throw em back of course but i love spratt not crowded and productive.Give it a shot.good luck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
good info MHB....I read it and thought i just watched a episode of Bill Dance.....I realize this post was almost a yr ago but thx for the info Im just gettin more and more into Bass fishing so all info is greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Come to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow night at 7pm. The Denver Bassmasters have thier meeting there the first Wed of every month. You can talk to many of the best bass fishermen in the state there and learn how and where to catch more bass. The meetings are free to attend and open to the public.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts