Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people have talked about bass fishing; I want to use bubble and fly, and I suppose one can catch bass with them. What kind of fly would be best for that? Thanks for response -- I will not be back on until Tuesday, but hope for some good advice.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Any type of fly that imitates a baitfish or large insect will work. im not sure about the action you might gt under a bubble, but try a size 4 or 6 wooley bugger (if you can find them that large) or a Mohair leech. in fact any of the leech patterns should work. i dont think the deerhair topwater patterns would work very well, since its action might be offset by the bubble if you fish it floating. most of my bass patterns tend to be rabbit strip leeches, they have a very fluid action thats hard to imitate with anything ive used on spinning tackle. smaller pike flies (or heck, even larger ones) will work also...weedless, under a bubble might be a good choice. try a 1/0 or 2/0 size hook, most flyshops sell these.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suppose a bubble and fly will catch a bass . . .but if you're using spinning gear, why not fish a jig or rapala? I don't think a large leech is going to cast very well behind a bubble. Just my .02

TP

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah, to be honest thats most likely the best bet i think. ive seen guys catch trout on wooley buggers under bubbles, but bass might be a bit more difficult...infact you might have more bass hitting your bubble that the fly tied below it. i would say stick to the soft plastics or a rapala if youre limited to spinning gear...

but, if you want to try....let us know how it worked for you.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rottal said:
Yeah, to be honest thats most likely the best bet i think. ive seen guys catch trout on wooley buggers under bubbles, but bass might be a bit more difficult...infact you might have more bass hitting your bubble that the fly tied below it.  i would say stick to the soft plastics or a rapala if youre limited to spinning gear...

but, if you want to try....let us know how it worked for you.
I agree with this too, but the flies I like to use for bass are large poppers with rubber legs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Earlier this month i caught a bass on this pistol pete fly. I wasnt really looking to catch one though as the trout were hitting it. But as i was letting the fly and bubble sink, a large mouth hit it. It can be done, but i was shocked. I can only imagine that it hit because it was a crayfish color.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Man, those silly little Pistol Petes catch a lot of fish it seems...who would of ever thought. I think i tied a few i was going to try on crappie one day, but i dont remember if id ever used them...i might have to dig one out and see how it works. not quite sure how that thing is classified though...a "fly" or a "spinner"...

·
Registered
247 Posts
so far i have caught one bucket mouth, one crappie, one monster bluegill, and to many trout to count on these lures. I'll see if i cant catch a pike, walleye, and perch next.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A great and very fun fly to Bass fish with is a popper. Its a surface fly that you slam down on the water and do fast jerky intermitten line stripping on ---- you are imitating an injured insect/frog/what ever. The more noise and splash you make with it, the better! It is like a dinner bell for bass. Of course you need to do it in an area that is not really deep typically.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Wind Knot said:
A great and very fun fly to Bass fish with is a popper. Its a surface fly that you slam down on the water and do fast jerky intermitten line stripping on ---- you are imitating an injured insect/frog/what ever. The more noise and splash you make with it, the better! It is like a dinner bell for bass. Of course you need to do it in an area that is not really deep typically.
You will catch some nice size bluegills too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay -- many thanks, folks. I'll try out a few things: got a nice grasshopper thingy, and some jigs, and a spinner or two, and a plastic worm -- someone told me once that dropping a worm in or near underwater trees and letting it sink tends to attract bass attention. I'll experiment and letcha know. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
BubbleFlyGuy said:
Okay -- many thanks, folks. I'll try out a few things: got a nice grasshopper thingy, and some jigs, and a spinner or two, and a plastic worm -- someone told me once that dropping a worm in or near underwater trees and letting it sink tends to attract bass attention. I'll experiment and letcha know. Thanks again.
That person was right, usually if there is a bass there and a worm falls infront of him he is going to hit it.

M

·
0 Posts
so true, unfortunatley untrue for the stocker tigers at evergreen, i literall put a worm an ich in front of his nose and if i could see his eyes better im sure he was rolling them at me, didnt even move until the worm touch his nose, then he casually swam off, i dunno what that ws about, but yeah bass seem to hit anything that lands in front of them, possibly why often times my best bass strikes come almost as soon as the lure hits the water

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had luck catching small mouth at Pueblo reservoir fishing with bubble completley filled with water, and fished deep. Used size 8 olive WB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say that I have caught 90% of my bass this year (at least 20 fish) have been caught on various large flies behind a clear fly bubble. I don't have any issues casting even large flies because the bubble is heavy enough to carry the weight. Some of the patterns are large elk hair caddis, woollybugger, various large nymph patterns etc. Just make sure it is large enough to grab the attention of a bass. In my experience they like to fit as much as possible in their mouth. hope this helps.

F

·
0 Posts
why not use a dragon fly . i was using one a few years back at lake carrol anne that actually made the sound on your back cast . at the arsenal and other metro lake i see big fish rise to dragon flys . im gonna go get some and try it .

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A week ago I was fishing Jerry creek reservoirs and catching huge bluegill (10-13") every cast and I hooked something huge. I landed it and it was a 4.25 lb. 19 3/4 " largemouth bass. I caught it on a cricket fly, along with the bluegill. I also caught a few other bass on the flies but nothing above 15"

·
Registered
30 Posts
The best bass flies I have found are weighted zonker patterns. Any fly with a rabbit tail does the trick. one of my favorites is the orvis zuddler olive, black or yellow.

for topwater flies I would go with small poppers or grasshopper patterns. the chernoble ant works well.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'd love to go after bass with a fly rod, and I've collected an assortment of lures. I'm always torn when I head out to the water, though, because somehow I think bass like plastic worms and tubes better and I always end up taking my spinning gear. Just how effective is fly fishing in bass hunting anyway (relative to silicone lures)? I guess I don't have confidence that flyfishing for bass is as efficient as traditional gear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts