Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has become my mission lately to catch a bass on the fly rod but keep getting skunked. Using my 7wt I have been casting some poppers, streamers, and grasshoppers but no bites except from bluegill

Just looking for some recommendations to get me started

·
Registered
305 Posts
Use a mouse pattern, something like this:

That mouse pattern is killer PD. Dahlberg Divers and Sex Dungeons work as well.

I think I saw a fly on Craven's blog that was a replica of a texas rigged power worm. Just a long dubbing loop for the worm body- similar to the tail of a geezus lizard. I would imagine that something like that would kill it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm going to try my moorish mouse next time i hit a pond on my way home. Feel stupid for never thinking about it before! Thanks, PD!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming. Looks like I will be doing a trip to the fly shop tomorrow

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pd it's more expensive than I would have thought. Now I am trying to decide if I pick up a Sage Response or TFO BVK this week

·
Registered
676 Posts
chartreuse jig flies, bellyache minnows, and clousers are my top subsurface producers. Mice on the surface. The best ones are not the deer hair but the ones with actual fur. Bring pliers. They engulf them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whompuscat I got skunked. Left the 7wt in a friend's car so did what I could with the 4wt. They didn't way hoppers, wolley buggers, nymphs, or my drys. Wish I could have cast the poppers, streamers, and other big flies but that 4wt just can't handle the big ones

I am running out later this week so hopefully I can break my skunk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bass suck; they're ugly as sin and taste like cardboard. Get you some H&H spinners and catch all you want; spin fishing. Why waste your time messing around with a fly rod. Go catch some stockers with it. ???

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Homeboy it's a bucket list item and a couple good bass ponds by the house. Don't always have the time to run up to the trout spots

Troutand and bluegill I can catch all day long but bass, pike, and carp I can't even get a bite. I need to change that

·
Registered
438 Posts
Homeboy it's a bucket list item and a couple good bass ponds by the house. Don't always have the time to run up to the trout spots

Troutand and bluegill I can catch all day long but bass, pike, and carp I can't even get a bite. I need to change that
go get em; just don't eat em. they are ugly and nasty and may have germs. If I wanted to go after one of those stinkers, I would use a steamer. That's if I ever wanted to do such a thing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Homeboy I will slap a little lipstick and makeup on the ones I catch so they are not so ugly for you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts