Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with Rio. They recommended their Power Fly line for throwing big bass flies. The rep said it would do best for big surface flies and streamers, and paired with versileaders it would do well to get steamers down deeper. He said that the power fly line would be much better than the smallmouth bass line since the smallmouth line is designed for smaller poppers and for warmer temperatures than we might see on average in CO. I ordered the power fly line from Laughing Grizzly fly shop in Longmont (awesome place) and it will be here tomorrow.

I looked at some Wulff triangle taper bass line but will stick with Rio for now.

Just passing some info along on bass line. I'm putting it on my Sage Response 8wt.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
I want to give their outbound short lines a shot for big bugs, I think they might have something going with it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to give their outbound short lines a shot for big bugs, I think they might have something going with it.
Hmm, that does look interesting. I wonder how far I should expect to cast with average casting skills and my setup with the power fly? Thoughts? It looks like the outbound is designed to aid in very long casts with large flies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the outbound short on my 8wt. Used it for the first time in San Diego this past weekend catching some salty bass. Even in the strong headwind I was pumping 60’ cast. But I could not get it to drop to the water nicely. Every cast it was super splashy and I was spooking fish in shallow water (when there wasn’t wind blowing). I was throwing weighted clousers and ghost shrimp flies with 7/32” dumbbell eyes, on it.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I have the outbound short on my 8wt. Used it for the first time in San Diego this past weekend catching some salty bass. Even in the strong headwind I was pumping 60’ cast. But I could not get it to drop to the water nicely. Every cast it was super splashy and I was spooking fish in shallow water (when there wasn’t wind blowing). I was throwing weighted clousers and ghost shrimp flies with 7/32” dumbbell eyes, on it.
Pics NAO!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always had a little trouble turning over big fluffy bass flies. Just a 6' section of straight monofilament isn't too bad if there are lilly pads around to hide the fly line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts