Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I am relatively new to the area and even newer to the board.  All the posts on this site about bass and panfish have got me thinking.  I have bee fly fishing for several years, but have stuck mainly to rivers and streams fishing for trout.  I'd like to try to catch a few panfish and/or bass on my fly rod this year.  Since I have never tried this before, I was wondering if anybody could give me any suggestions on where to go and what to use.  I live in Golden and would like to find somewhere relatively close to here.   I know there are several ponds/reservoirs along Highway 58 between here and Boulder, but don't know if any of them hold fish.  I've heard Bear Creek is good for smallies, but am unaware of anything else there.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I tie my own flies so if anyone has favorite recipe that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.  I hope to be able to return the favor in the future.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another note--

I understand that people sometimes don't want to talk about personal fishing haunts in a public forum. If that is the case and you are still willing to share any info, feel free to email me as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just to start, Hwy. 93 goes to Boulder from Golden; Hwy. 58 goes toward Denver..... From Golden, take Hwy. 58 east, merge into I-70 and then take the Ward Rd. Exit. You have five lakes to choose from. I would start w/ West lake; it has a lot of bluegills and bass that like to go after the fly. Down stream Tabor, Bass, and Prospect lakes can be difficult, but hold fish. Warning, have your license in order; I’ve been checked 4 times this year alone at West lake. Once you get a few on the line and want to go after something bigger; cross over I-70 to Ward Rd. SWA. This is a tough nut to crack, but some HUGE bass live in this lake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and info O. clarki. Sorry I got my roads mixed up there. I think I know where you are talking about as I have seen people fish there before.

I've heard that good flies to use are basically foam terrestrial patterns (spiders, ants, crickets, grasshoppers, etc.) I think I'll give that a try sometime.

Thanks again for the help

M

·
0 Posts
You can fish for anything with that fly rod that you can fish for with a spinning rod. I bought a bass boat for the lakes around here exactly for the reason I'd have a casting platform.

As far as tips--

Bass & Panfish -
Woolly Buggar and Renegade are my standby. I tie something called a Super Bug which is essentially a Woolly Buggar on a keel fly hook. My standard colors are black maribou/hackle with a black band, then green band, then black band of green chenille. Also works well if you subsititute the green with purple and purple maribou tail. This works well on both bass and panfish. I haven't bought keel fly hooks in a while (bought a bunch in bulk) but the idea is the hook travels through the water upside down and makes it more weedless. The original keel fly hooks also are not hardened (you snag a log and pull - the hook straightens and releases and you just bend it back). Mustad stopped making them a while ago then started again but last I heard they were hardened.

I also used to use a fly called a "just a bug" for panfish and talapia but haven't tried it here in Colorado. Essentially, maribou tail with a chenille body. Mix and match colors (white on white, yellow on white, white on yellow, etc., etc.)

Early mornings or late evenings try some small poppers (deer hair or cork) with a 5 weight (you'll be able to cast no problem with a 5wt if they are small enough). The terrestrials you mention will work at these times as well.

Walleye & Catfish--
This is tougher. Walleye will hit a leach pattern if it is retrieved slowly on the bottom. Catfish will hit on occasion but it's not very common. Try a woolly buggar or something that looks like a leach (Red Angel Leach)

Wiper --
Streamers that look like small fish - long retrieves and a little faster than usual. Walleye will hit this as well.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the april issue of "flyrod & reel" there is an artical on "catching early season bluegills" had some good basic info on how and where to find em and spoke of a few good flies you might want to check it out.

as for your area i cant help ya but if you get down past the springs or near pueblo i would recomend brush hollow (more gills than you can wave a rod at) and valco ponds. i would recomend some sort of floating aproach for easyer casting i prefer a float tube

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts