Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taken their boat to BassPro to get an engine tune up? What exactly does that involve? I have a 9hp kicker and a 90hp main both mercury that still runs great every season. Should I skip tune up? Engines are almost 10yrs old.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
If you are changing oil in the engine and lower unit, you should be good to go. Run some ring free now and then to keep the carbs clean.

Colorado boats don't see a whole lot of hours, the lakes are too small and far-in-between.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Do you have the ability and tools?
Change the spark plugs and fluids.
I use Sea Foam for fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
My Tracker is 10 years old now. Finally did a "tune-up" on the 115 Merc Optimax. Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs.
Cost me like $75 including the special tool to remove the fuel filter cap. Oh and did the impeller also. That was another $50.

Actually the spark plugs looked fine as did the impeller-

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
It's no different than your car/truck A tuneup now and then is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My Tracker is 10 years old now. Finally did a "tune-up" on the 115 Merc Optimax. Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs.
Cost me like $75 including the special tool to remove the fuel filter cap. Oh and did the impeller also. That was another $50.

Actually the spark plugs looked fine as did the impeller-
I remember the thread years ago about impellers being changed yearly by some. Mine was 15 years old I think when I changed it. Signs of wear but still moved enough water to cool engine.

As mentioned our motors on the lakes here get light duty use. If you boated the Great Lakes like I did years ago, different story. Or maybe Lake Powell. Big bodies of water make for long runs at sustained high RPM's. Our ponds here are a short run.

Good job Slayer IMO.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
I bet I don't have 75 hours on that engine in 10 years. I use the Terrova all freekin day long.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Outboards are fairly basic. If you’ve changed the fluids and impeller regularly I don’t think there is much more to it.

I guess you could change plugs if you wanted. That’s pretty simple.

In regard to the other comments about impellers, I also don’t think they need to be changed every year. But I certainly wouldn’t go 10 years without changing it. Just because it “looks ok” doesn’t mean it is.

My buddies impeller blew up on him last year at Lake Powell on the first day. His boat stayed tied to the houseboat the rest of the week.

Regardless of use, I wouldn’t go more than 5 years on an impeller. I do about 120 hours/year on my Malibu. Not sure how many on my Ranger. Both get changed every other year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
You put more hrs/yr on that malibu than I have in 10 years. LOL.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies. its true i probably put more hours on my electric troller than my engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts