Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went there this morning and looked at their inflatable pontoons-they had one for $349 and Sportmans has the identical model for $259. Big difference.

Their lines-both braid and mono/fluro are higher than other places.

But whats even more disconcerting is more and more of their shelf space is being taken up by their private brand merchandise. Some of it I have found to be OK but much of it is poor quality IMO.

Online shopping seems to be the only way to get what you want in the color and size you want and at a better price. Used to be a loyal BPS customer but now online gets most all of my money.

Just really hit me today how high their prices have gotten.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Still better than the cabelas stores...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I kinda treat all the tackle shops like grocery stores... Some stores have better deals than others at different times.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yeah a lot of lures are cheaper at sportsmans. Come to think of it I don't think I've found anything cheaper at basspro. Oh the clearance clothes. They usually have some good stuff there.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Speaking of which. Tackle warehouse is 15% off almost everything in stock for the rest of the day. Free ground shipping $5 2 day shipping. $10 next day shipping.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The box stores suck!!! Only use Cabela's when somethings on sale at the bargain cave. BPS has some particular colors of soft plastics that I like. So, I stock up on them when they have their sale at the end of the season. Sportsman's has some decent pricing, but only has a portion of colors at times. So 95% of what I buy is online and overseas. Don't have to deal with crowds, low stock, or wasting gas and I can get the colors and sizes I need all the time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I kinda treat all the tackle shops like grocery stores... Some stores have better deals than others at different times.

X2 - but I will say that BPS only had the ION 8" floor model so I grabbed one at Sportsman's and saved $40. I should have done the comparisons first, just got lucky on that one...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think BPS and Cabelas see themselves as destination stores where they have mounts on the wall and an aquarium and a bowling alley and a restaurant and I guess they feel that
justifies charging more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently went to an Army Surplus store at 75th and Pecos. There are two buildings, but the one in the back is only fishing and camping equipment. Got several excellent quality rattle crank bait lures for $3. The prices on everything were extremely reasonable. I will be going back there soon in addition to online shopping.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Like dave said, still better than Cabelas. Just recently I decided to take half a day off from a fishing trip and drive to the cabelas in Sidney, NE only to get there and see that they had maybe 12 fishing aisles. Barely carried any other soft plastics that weren't their brand. They had absolutely nothing I needed except for tungsten weights and some hooks. Wasted half a day. F*** cabelas I'll never go back in that store. BPS at least carries a large variety of soft plastics and other baits. Never really compared prices though. Still the best overall option in the state besides the internet of course

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like dave said, still better than Cabelas. Just recently I decided to take half a day off from a fishing trip and drive to the cabelas in Sidney, NE only to get there and see that they had maybe 12 fishing aisles. Barely carried any other soft plastics that weren't their brand. They had absolutely nothing I needed except for tungsten weights and some hooks. Wasted half a day. F*** cabelas I'll never go back in that store. BPS at least carries a large variety of soft plastics and other baits. Never really compared prices though. Still the best overall option in the state besides the internet of course
I agree I went there a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have anything I was looking for. Only 2 rod holders in stock. The only response that I got was " we can order it for you" I can do that myself.

Did the deal between Bpro and Cabelas go through? Last I herd Goldman Sachs ok'd the funding for it.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If you want better pricing at BPS and Cabelas go buy giftcards from www.cardpool.com

When I know I'm going to make a purchase I almost always check that site first and get an additional 10-20% off by getting a gift card.

Right now BPS gift cards are 18% off, Cabelas are out of stock but usually 11% off, and Gander Mountain is 7% off.

You can even get notifications for when cards are back in stock and occasionally they'll offer promotions and up the savings. I've seen BPS go to 20% off.

I got my $100 baitcaster combo, Abu Garcia Black Max, from Dick's Sporting Goods for only $40 combining a gift card from www.cardpool.com, a $20 Abu mail in rebate, $20 markdown from Dick's and a Columbus Day sale with 14.92% off.

The best part is if you're shopping online you can get e-gift cards and they email it right to you. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes to get your e-gift card, sometimes it takes 1-3 hours. Just depends but regardless it's easy and convenient.

Side note: You guys better not go and buy up all the gift cards so when I need one they are out of stock!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
If you want better pricing at BPS and Cabelas go buy giftcards from www.cardpool.com

When I know I'm going to make a purchase I almost always check that site first and get an additional 10-20% off by getting a gift card.

Right now BPS gift cards are 18% off, Cabelas are out of stock but usually 11% off, and Gander Mountain is 7% off.

You can even get notifications for when cards are back in stock and occasionally they'll offer promotions and up the savings. I've seen BPS go to 20% off.

I got my $100 baitcaster combo, Abu Garcia Black Max, from Dick's Sporting Goods for only $40 combining a gift card from www.cardpool.com, a $20 Abu mail in rebate, $20 markdown from Dick's and a Columbus Day sale with 14.92% off.

The best part is if you're shopping online you can get e-gift cards and they email it right to you. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes to get your e-gift card, sometimes it takes 1-3 hours. Just depends but regardless it's easy and convenient.

Side note: You guys better not go and buy up all the gift cards so when I need one they are out of stock!
That's entirely way too much legwork, coupon boy. Lol.

I'm lazy. I like ordering/buying crap when there's a deal.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I grew up poor Dave... it's stuck with me to make the most out of a dollar!

And honestly it takes away from the impulse buy when you are planning ahead.

Several times I was about to impulse buy, went to find a gift card and that little delay from the instant purchase was enough to tell myself I didn't need it :)

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Also if you join ebates.Com when ordering from BPS you can get an extra 4% off ordering through their site, comes in the form of a rebate check. Wife orders from a few sites through them so we end up with a pretty good check!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I buy my stuff from cabelas, they have everything I need. the price is ok considering it takes the best part of a day to go to any store that sells what I need. I thought bps would be good when they opened a store in cs, well it cuts about 2 hours off the trip but they didn't have half of what I needed. so I will continue to buy from cabelas and I get 3 or 4 percent off and can get what I need in 4-5 days on my front porch and I saved a tank of gas and it only takes a few minutes to order it. if I find I need something because I am running low as I am fishing I can pull out my cell and order while I am in the boat. also if I am pre fishing for a tourney on wed. I can call them and have the hot bait at my house on Friday night

1 - 19 of 19 Posts