Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bass Pro is exploring financing options to buy Cabelas. Neither company would comment on the story. A big fish swallows a smaller fish.

Last year Cabelas had sales of 1.2 billion, Bass Pro slightly over 4 billion.

You can read the article in fishingtackleretailer.com

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I wonder if that would be an issue with United States antitrust laws... lol

But seriously, would that mean better prices for consumers based on increased purchasing power and more efficient logistics or higher prices due to substantially lessened competition?

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I wonder if that would be an issue with United States antitrust laws... lol

But seriously, would that mean better prices for consumers based on increased purchasing power and more efficient logistics or higher prices due to substantially lessened competition?

No one pays attention to antitrust laws for the most part these days.

I'd say either company has as much purchasing power as they can use, only thing it does is swallow up BPS's main competition.

I like choices..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ya,
One floating turd being scooped up by a pile of crap! That's the American way. It'll still be Chinese manufactured junk products sold at inflated prices!
Brooks

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
What brooks said
Not a big fan of either place

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ya,
One floating turd being scooped up by a pile of crap! That's the American way. It'll still be Chinese manufactured junk products sold at inflated prices!
Brooks
So Brooks-apparently all of your fishing rods, reels, terminal tackle, and lures are all Made in the USA?
Not likely-but enlighten us, where do you buy all of your USA made fishing tackle, at low low prices?
I am all for, love independents, and choices but reality is those a harder to find each year and businesses do like to make money.
Pretty sure the core of both of these companies are local, live in the community, outdoor enthusiast so let's not lose sight of that. Oh-and they each employ a great deal of Americans.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm all for supporting local business. 90% of the time I shop locally at Discount Fishing Tackle but when I want something specific or I need to be able to go somewhere that I'll know for sure they have what I need last minute, you can't beat Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Plus they do a lot of free family activities. My kids shot their first bb guns at Bass Pro and every year we get a free picture with Santa.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Maybe they'll quit sending me weekly fire starter, lol.
x2. :biggrin1:

I'd say either company has as much purchasing power as they can use, only thing it does is swallow up BPS's main competition.

I like choices..
I also believe they already have sufficient purchasing power. Competition is better for the consumer, unless the competitors don't have enough critical mass to be efficient. I think the certain market segments within the fishing/boating industry could be consolidated. I son't think that is the case for retailers such as Cabelas and BPS. I hope this deal doesn't go through. I'd rather see BPS gone than Cabelas, if I had to choose between the two. In my opinion, Cabelas is the better marketer and offers better deals to the customers. BPS is just more aggressive in acquiring other companies/competitors. This is an example of that aggressiveness.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
The Cabelas around Denver are lacking in inventory compared to BPS. Cabelas service sucks also.

If Cabelas went away I wouldn't notice-

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The Cabelas around Denver are lacking in inventory compared to BPS. Cabelas service sucks also.

If Cabelas went away I wouldn't notice-
Aside from the differences in our geographical perspectives (you are closer to BPS; I am closer to Cabelas) our shopping preferences (you still like to go into stores; I shop mostly online), you BPS fanbois don't know what's best for your wallets... :-*:biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Maybe they'll quit sending me weekly fire starter, lol.
Yep....
I even called Their customer service dept. to request They NOT SEND me those catalogs...
FOUR TIMES in the last 3 YEARS...
Each time The rep said it would be done....
NOPE !!!
Now, I have been putting "return to sender" on the Larger ones...
STILL.... get all of them....
I think the 'mailman" takes em home...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My fishing dollars used to be mostly brick and mortar stores and a little internet buying. Now its the opposite. Love coming home and finding a package from Tackle Warehouse on the front porch.

For us hardcore fishermen, you can almost always find a better deal online than in a store for just about anything you might want to buy. But Cabelas and Bass Pro are destination stores-even my wife likes to walk thru and look at all the stuff and she doesn't even fish.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'll be a BPS fanboy, Cabelas is crap with shitty customer service in their stores. That's been my experience and others I know. Cabelas is never the cheapest option either, plus they don't price match. At least at BPS they will price match.......my wallet likes that AO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts