Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about AO, cabelas prices are hardly ever better. Even if you found a better price, it would be very slight, and the comfort of knowing I can replace it with no hassle is worth whatever extra at BP. In my experience BP has better prices anyways. It's no secret cabelas customer service sucks. I also don't want this deal to go through, but I wouldn't even blink if I had to make the decision between cabelas and bass pro

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I shop online a lot. But sometimes you dont have time to buy online. Plus its kinda hard to order minnows on-line.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
So Brooks-apparently all of your fishing rods, reels, terminal tackle, and lures are all Made in the USA?
Not likely-but enlighten us, where do you buy all of your USA made fishing tackle, at low low prices?
"Elitists" don't care about getting tackle for low low prices lol

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Bwahaha! BPS fanboy sightings! Retail prices between BPS and Cabelas are not that different and customer service is overrated. The difference is in their sales and rebates. Cabelas consistently has more items on sale. I mostly buy from Cabelas when they have things on sale or when they send me a $20 or $30 off rebate. I avoid retail prices like the plague. I recently placed an order in for a rod tube for a trip I am planning next year and some Lucky Craft lipless crankbaits for ice walleyes (the lucky's were on sale for $6). Guess which retailer was cheaper? Aside from the discounts, Cabelas also had a rod tube that satisfied my needs at a cheaper price. Yeah, I’m a coupon clipper… :biggrin1: I must admit that I used to be a Cabelas fanboi. Now, I only buy from them when they happen to be the cheapest option. I like Tacklewarehouse and Landbigfish (and some of the other smaller online shops), but they don't always have everything I need.

PS: I still luv you guys, Goldie and Bobys. ;D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I definitely prefer to shop online, always find the cheapest option. But the times you "need" things then BPS beats Cabelas......cause they'll price match. TW is the **** though.

PS: I still hate you, AO.
Love, Danny

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yep....
I even called Their customer service dept. to request They NOT SEND me those catalogs...
FOUR TIMES in the last 3 YEARS...
Each time The rep said it would be done....
NOPE !!!
Now, I have been putting "return to sender" on the Larger ones...
STILL.... get all of them....
I think the 'mailman" takes em home...
I have always said that I would love to see who has the printing contract for all of the Cabelas catalogs. I'm thinkin it's a family member.:confused:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I too prefer shopping online, but for the basic stuff I prefer BP. I have had 2 too many shitty experiences trying to return something to cabelas, bass pro doesn't even let me finish telling them why I want to return it before telling me to grab a replacement. Plus it being 25-30 minutes closer to me helps....

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
My fishing dollars used to be mostly brick and mortar stores and a little internet buying. Now its the opposite. Love coming home and finding a package from Tackle Warehouse on the front porch.

What kirby said...plus throw in FishUSA which at times has great deals...even Amazon will offer some crazy deals at times...like to support Gander/Donald when I can for local products...

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I've been a Cabelas guy since the late 80's/early 90's when my Great Aunt and Uncle introduced me to Dick & Mary.

I remember dad and I taking special trips to Sidney just to go to the store. Their customer service in those days was better than service ANYWHERE else.

But as the company has grown, that sure has changed. I still prefer Cabelas to BPS, but the stores Cabelas opened here are a disappointment. I buy quite a bit on line from them because I have a Cabelas card that we use for almost all our expenses, and I get a lot of points with them.

I don't think BPS buying Cabelas would be good for the consumers. Even if the newer stores are not as good as they once were, they are still better than not having them. And I would be shocked if the two consolidating wouldn't didn't mean closing many of the stores.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I love walking around BOTH places. The big cool fish tanks are my favorite thing to see. I like the boats at BPS and the firearms at Cabelas. I always stop and drool over the fly tying supplies and hooks, rods etc. I love looking at all the crap I can't afford. When I actually buy something it's generally at Sportsman's warehouse...always cheaper than both places.

·
P I K E
10,264 Posts
Another thing to consider for both these big box stores is another competitor is moving in soon. Scheels Sports is opening fall of 2017 up in Johnstown. Heard this was the reason BPS decided to pull out of the north store location, should be interesting to see what happens with that move. They opened one up in Billings Mt after Cabelas opened up there and from what I've heard they have put a dent in their business up there especially with the Sportsmans closed down.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's interesting to hear everyone's experience about customer service at BPS and Cabelas. I've had good experiences at both places, as well as a few poor ones. I've returned Bargin Cave merchandise at Cabelas with ZERO problems. (they clearly state that all Bargin cave sales are final) Have had no problems with price matching from Cabelas or BPS. I shop at Cabelas more because the LoneTree store is very close to me. I prefer Cabelas clothing, both hunt and fish, far more than BPS. IMO Cabelas is innovative and offer far superior selection over BPS. BPS, on the other hand, does offer a wider selection in their fishing department over Cabelas.
I think having both stores available along the front range, as well as others, has served rather well. Everybody has their favorites.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Scheels Sports COOL!! but why in Johnstown?? Hopefully Mills fleet and Farm will follow and expand west.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I grew up drooling over the cabelas magazines at my grandpas. now i cant stand the cabelas in Colorado. They never ever have what I drive up from the springs for. That being said Cabelas in steelie country kick ass. Mills fleet n farm had the best deals in steelie country. they are like a tractor trailer supply with fishing stuff and great prices.

other wise its all online shopping for me as well if i can help it. especially since I live up in a tiny mountain town where wally world barely has anything. or ill go down the hill to Colorado Tackle pro if i feel like being talked into a over priced lure ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I mainly shop online. I prefer Cabelas online to BPS online. Like the website's format better. Few times I've had issues Cabelas has taken care of it without a fight.

Generally I have a bunch of things on my wishlist. I use it to watch for things to go on sale and then buy when said sale happens. Works great for rods and reels. Generally Cabelas cycles through their rods very couple years. Usually I can clean up on the out going rods at around 50% of the original price. Same for out going reels.

The wish list also makes it really easy to tell family what I'd like for Christmas and birthdays. I'm sure BPS has a similar wish list, but my time has been invested in Cabelas site.

If they get swallowed up by BPS or Walmart, I'll likely move on to TW or something similar. I more dislike the idea of the Nebraskan communities getting gutted by a take over or sell off more than anything going on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love walking around BOTH places. The big cool fish tanks are my favorite thing to see. I like the boats at BPS and the firearms at Cabelas. I always stop and drool over the fly tying supplies and hooks, rods etc. I love looking at all the crap I can't afford. When I actually buy something it's generally at Sportsman's warehouse...always cheaper than both places.
^^^^ This^^^^ Sportsmans Warehouse is great. Has som really good deals at times and friendly and knowledgable staff. I like underdogs!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Scheels Sports COOL!! but why in Johnstown?? Hopefully Mills fleet and Farm will follow and expand west.
I went to a scheels in or around Springfield Illinois last year. It was a really cool store. All the rifles and stuff were out in the open so you didn't have to ask to check em out. They were all made safe, of course. I remember picking up the savage 110ba just for fun. Such an awesome piece of machinery!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts