Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was fishing from the shore this weekend I saw 6-8 nice bass near shore in about 2-4 feet of water. I am assuming they are on their spawning beds....
Threw minnow colored jerk baits...
White spinner baits...
Black spinner baits...
C. Rigged black worm...
Green tube jig....
JSR- (craw fish colored)

The fish would just sit there at look at my bait.

Any suggestions?

I was fishing in middle of the day on Sunday. Was I just there the wrong time of day?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
For spawning bass I like a sneaker, size 11.  Hard to throw but when you drag it thru the bed even if the bass doesn't take it, you get to crush alot more eggs than with a jig or tube.  Color of sneaker doesn't seem to matter.

The nerve of those bass, thinking they can go thru the spawn unmolested. ::)

With water temps being what they are, chances are good the bass were just looking for ideal nesting spots (pre-spawn) or soaking up some sun.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bass during the spawn aren't interested in eating so much...They're interested in...well, you know. I'm not too interested in eating at that point either :D

I'ts probably best to just let them be and return after the spawn. You don't really want to interrupt anyway because baby bass get big eventually.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Next time you see them cruising cast a senko in a natural color or a nice hand poured worm. All weightless and on a number 2/0 gamagatsu hook rigged texas style. Try to throw it ahead of them and let it fall slowly on slack line. Watch your line....Fish On

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
kirbydog said:
For spawning bass I like a sneaker, size 11.  Hard to throw but when you drag it thru the bed even if the bass doesn't take it, you get to crush alot more eggs than with a jig or tube.  Color of sneaker doesn't seem to matter.

The nerve of those bass, thinking they can go thru the spawn unmolested. ::)

With water temps being what they are, chances are good the bass were just looking for ideal nesting spots (pre-spawn) or soaking up some sun.
LOL I prefer to use a Nike Hightop myself. But seriously this weekend I found two Bass beds (I think) & now try to be carefull not to throw my lures that way as I probably have allready damaged to many eggs. People most likely look at me funny (with good reason I am new to fishing & dont really know what I am doing) but I am always looking moss that my hooks drag up. If I find eggs I cast in another direction.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Fishing for bedding bass requires ALOT of patience...here is a cool guide for it http://fishing.about.com/library/weekly/aa041601a.htm

I like to use a bright colored tube or grub when sight fishing for bass...some days you could spend up to an hr trying to catch those fish...just remember they are spawning and soon that lake will be replenished with more bass for years to come :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Iron-Like you I'm sure I catch bedding bass and don't even know it but (also like you) I won't target these fish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I was fishing from the shore this weekend I saw 6-8 nice bass near shore in about 2-4 feet of water.  I am assuming they are on their spawning beds....
These are not bedding fish in my opinion but rather smaller fish grouping up in shallow water for feeding and protection. The smaller parts of the food chain are what they are after.

An effective way to target these fish is to use a 4" grub weightless on a 1/0 (offset) hook. Cast parallel to the shoreline and work with short retrieves.

Fish are still in prespawn mode on bigger water but the smaller/shallow stuff may have nesting/bedding bass. These fish will be guarding a 1 to 2 foot diameter area that has been "dusted" off and may already have eggs...please do not overpressure these fish as too much pressure will force them to abandon the nest. If you do happen to catch them...please release so that the cycle may continue.

Here's a prespawn fatty I pulled out a week ago. He caught a little mud on the way in that I didn't notice until after I had taken the shot and released.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I agree on leaving them alone unless your tournament fishing. They don't want to eat but you can get them to strike out of anger. Use something bright so you can tell when the hit it. A white tube or loud colored Senko.
I've also had success with a 4 in Zoom lizard fished weightless.
If you spook them and they leave, give it a rest and come back with something different.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hammer-This is exactly why I don't think they should schedule bass tournaments during the spawn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts