Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased my first 24 volt system. So of course I had to add another battery. It was a Regular Group 27 Interstate Deep Cycle. Now my older battery is taking a dump. I'm looking for a battery that will last and that will handle the constant recharging of a onboard 5amp charger and drain of trolling. I've been looking at AGM(absorbed glass mat). The are bit more expensive so I was wondering if anyone thought the differance in price was worth it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I love delco products but have been told by boat mechanics not to waste my money. They say that a battery has a three year life and anything after that you are risking a fishing trip. Keep in mind the pounding the batteries take. I have been buying walmart brand and have had no problems but I replace in three years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks McFish. That is what I was thinking as far as life of a trolling motor battery... that is about the age of the battery that just bit it. I'll see if anyone has had experience with an AGM before if decide for sure but am leaning towards the standard group 27. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I got a group 29 series from Walmart-seems to me that it is well worth the added cost for the additional minutes of reserve capacity-only costs about $5-6 more. Ed

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The good thing about the Walmart brand is that there is a Walmart on every corner. You dont have to worry about a bettery going bad on a trip when there is probly one right down the street.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
The Optimas are excellent and long-lived.And no acid crap everywhere!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gr8 info from everyone... was looking at optimas blue top... Sears sells them now.. will have to check it out... Thanks again everyone.... Doing three days at Pueblo(my back yard) hopefully the water will warm and I'll have a good reports for everyone.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I may be wrong but I think I remember that if your going 24v,, that the two batts should be of the same age and rating. Something about one batt taking more of the bruunt of the load if they are not. I could be mistaken though.
Brett

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Humm, hadn't thought about that. If that is the case that will make my shopping experience easy this year... just prepair to get tow next time. We'll see. Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree with BNC04 about having 2 of the same batteries. I have seen many problems if they are not matched! Optimas are the way to go...if you can afford them (I cannot!). Sears if my favorite place to get batteries...all over the place, pretty hassle free, good selection and will match price. I was at Pueblo Saturday afternoon...first time I have ever been blown off a lake!
Left_turn56

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone - this is all gr8 info... yep, I hear ya on the wind Saturday... I just wish that was the first time I've been blown off the lake. looking like weather is turning for the better again... hopefully it will bring the bite back on... heard some good wiper stories from a week ago... my luck by the time I get out there the weather does its thing... oh well, there will be good days... Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts