Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace one of the batteries in my Lund. I bought a Interstate Deep Cycle Pro 27 3 years ago and it is dead - seems they should have lasted longer, but that is another story.

I have done a bit of calling around and found that a replacement battery from Interstate is $150.95, AutoZone is $104.99 and WalMart is $79.97. Autozone and Walmart have a 1 year warranty. I didn't ask about Interstate.

Are all batteries the same? Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the battery from Walmart?

·
Registered
902 Posts
they usually last just about as long as they are warrantied for. they die faster when you leave them in the weather (obviously) or leave em dead for a long time. if you are looking for batteries on the cheap i would hit up the battery recycle places. there is one in aravada off of like 58th and ralston.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lv. Not necessarily looking for just cheap, but if something is close on quality and less expensive, it seems like a win. I can almost buy 2 batteries from Walmart for the 1 Interstate.

And I treat the batteries pretty well. The boat is stored in a heated garage, and I use battery tenders in the off season.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Wallymart batteries have served me well. Only time they crapped out was because of my negligence.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
a few years ago i had good luck with wal mart batteries. i have gone to AGM or gel cells, they cost more but i dont have acid in the boat any more

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Walmart all the way. Been using them for 10+ yrs and have gotten in the habit of replacing the deep cycle every 2 yrs and the starting battery every 3. No complaints.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I've got Walmart batteries powering my TM(24v system) This year will be my 3rd year and I sure hope they are still good!! From what I have read 3 years is about what to expect for walmart batteries.(Actually quite a few brands)

Taking that into consideration.. Unless your Interstate batteries(Or any other brand you are considering that cost twice as much) last twice as long(6 years) then I would go with Walmart.

Atleast you'll have fresh batteries every 3 years rather than being 3yrs into a 6yr battery.(from what i know they loose power over time so even if a battery does last 6 years it will not be opperating at its optimum capability the entire life cycle)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some fishing Buddies of mine all have Interstate batteries but bought an additive called THERMOIL it doubles the life of lead acid batteries.I'm here to tell you that my close friends batteries are going on their tenth year.I bought 3 Interstates 3 years ago and put THERMOIL in them and so far so good.I hope they last as long as my friends.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I got some SEARS size 34 AGM's in 2008... I believe They cost @ $179 on sale..
5 Year pro rated replacement...
Going on 6 years now and still work like champs...
Can get about 6+ hours on an 80lb Minn. pullin My 2075 at 3/4 speed...
I think thats pretty good....
They cost @ $225 nowadays, however...

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just saw in todays ad that BPS has their 27 series batteries on sale for $99.97 after core exchange.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I've done the sears route, 2 grp 27's for the troller and a grp 24 for the starting, prior I had Trojan batteries. Three years is about what I see on the trollers, but I tend to run em dead when I use them.

I store them indoor in the winter and use a good float charger so I think what you see for life isn't unreasonable based on my experience.

I've used the Walmart brand in other toys and have had satisfactory results, plus I need to shell out this spring for three news ones for the boat and I am going to do the Walmarts.

Cost is a driving factor for me, but like I stated, then ones I have used worked pretty well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ive used Wallmart batteries for the last 10 years. I never had a problem with them. I always recharge them as soon as I return home from fishing. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Some fishing Buddies of mine all have Interstate batteries but bought an additive called THERMOIL it doubles the life of lead acid batteries.I'm here to tell you that my close friends batteries are going on their tenth year.I bought 3 Interstates 3 years ago and put THERMOIL in them and so far so good.I hope they last as long as my friends.
Interesting...how does that work? Do you replace the water with something else?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Do a search for their website...really good explanations...far too much to type...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Z Im slow to respond.Its easy to do everything is on the website.A few tournament guys that I fish with told me about this stuff a while back and said it works great and is the best way to go to get more life out of your battery.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Life Of A Battery

Battery life of a deep cycle battery is determined by 2 things.

1 The quality of the battery.

2 The duty cycle..
Duty cycle means the normal discharge before recharging.
Think of a battery as a gas tank. If you run the tank empty regularly then recharge the result is a shorter battery life.

The best brands are Trojan and Rolls Surrette.
Not mass marketed and not cheap.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I can remember Trojan! :smile: Looks like these are available at Aurora Marine and Crowley Marine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts