Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the scoop. Fished all weekend, using my Minnkota trolling motor. I have two batteries in the bow storage, separated by a Perko switch. Left the lake this afternoon, unplugged the Minnkota, turned the switch to "off".

Got home and went to charge the batteries using a portable, manual battery charger. Opened the storage to the smell of an electrical fire. One battery (Costco, about 4 months old) has the positive terminal completely melted. All cables to the battery are melted as well. 2nd battery (about 36 month old Interstate) has cables melted (not as bad) and a spot melted through the top of the battery where a cable was on the top.

Boat is all original from the factory, with the exception of the battery exchanges that I have done myself. I have used the boat at least 15 days since I changed out the latest battery.

Any idea what could have caused this??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Let the smoke out of those wires.Better verify proper circuit breaker/fuse protection for the tm after rewiring is done and for a short to ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
WOW, Thats scary ****!! Glad the entire boat didnt go up in flames!! !!


99% of electrical issues are due to bad connections... I would put my money on a loose or corroded connection somewhere..But what do I know LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked again this morning. All the damage, including melted wires was on the new battery. Interstate looks like collateral damage.

The switch looks fine.

What is strange is that I am 90% certain that this happened on the way home, when there was nothing drawing current. Battery switch was in "off" position, and the motor was unplugged.

And, in case I didn't mention it, the boat is fine. Carpet on the storage doors is a little melted, but not bad.

So, who would you recommend to re-wire?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Slayer made me laugh!

Your short happened right at/near your battery.The short(uncontrolled current flow)continued until the wiring melted and the circuit opened(no current flow),as there was no circuit protection before your switch? That is common on most feed circuits.

Rewire shouldn't be a big deal.Make sure the batteries and wiring are secured and it won't happen again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts





















I did get a chuckle out of the response as well.

Taking it in to have someone look at it this afternoon. Just seems odd that if it were a problem with the wiring that it would be fine for 7 years.???
Just the electrical current running through the wire can cause a loose connection to occur after time... not to mention the vibrations caused by driving and towing the boat.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top