Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the lake the other day, and I ran into a guy, all geared up for fishing. He put his boat in the water and turned the key and the motor just barely turned. DEAD BATTERY. The poor guy looked like he was going to cry. I told him it sounded as though he needed a jump. I don't know if he ever did it or not.

Just a link here to help people. This won't eliminate problems, but it would've helped this guy. I didn't actually put my system together like the article shows, but it gave me the idea. I can charge my deep cycles from the motor alternator or jump start my starting battery with the flip of a switch. I've never had to jump start my boat as I like to make sure everythings in tip top shape before I go out.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/IF2704_rigging_recharge_1/index.html

Too many things go wrong that you can't plan for, why add to the list by not taking care of any problems you can plan for before hand.   

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use something just like this called 'The Original StayNCharge'
The stay and charge is a good set-up for sure. I thought about a system like that but I run into the problem of multi day fishing/camping trips and keeping my deep cycles charged for 5 or 6 days. I like to keep the boat in the water and I never could find a tree to plug into. I have ran 200'-300' feet of extension cord from my motorhome-generator to the boat, but that's kinda stupid and a pain.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
A three way (1, both, 2, off) switch makes it easy to run from or charge either battery/bank. Perko makes one for about $27. Cheap insurance. The modern switches don't have a dead spot between poles so you can switch (not to off - of course) while the motor is running and not damage the alternator diode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts