Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here use battery tenders during the winter? My dad insists we need to get one, probably advice given to him by a friend. I haven't really heard much on here of people using them, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
They work well, 3 stage if they float charge are good. If they don't float and they monitor voltage will still work.

·
Registered
902 Posts
But are they necessary? Do they prolong battery life?
Does an oil change make a motor last longer? Letting batteries die which the cold does kills batteries charge holding abilities. I put my batteries in the heated garage on float charger maintenaners.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you own a boat with batteries , you also should own a battery maintainer and or use a charger and charge them up every month.
Maintainers and charger are sometimes two different things and sometimes they are the same thing. Marine and auto batteries are different and should be recharged differently. So get the correct system is my best advice.
Make sure you have and use the correct system to charge and maintain you batteries after every use. Or you will be buying batteries more often. No guaranties as these things both batteries and chargers seem to only last a short period of time anyway couple three years.
Both my boats are plugged in after every use and all batteries are charged, it then switches to maintain them to keep them fully charged. I have a total of 3, 3 bank charges and one 2 bank between the two boats. It can get expensive in my case if Im not taken care of the batteries.
Do not use a trickle charger it will over charge the battery, unless you monitor it.

If you have three of the same type and size on you system a 3 bank, if one goes out you should buy a new set so they charge and drain at the same rate this will extend the life of the batteries.
If you only have one house battery and no others for electric motors just bring it in the garage and charge it a couple times this winter.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have 3 boat batteries and a jet ski battery so it is probably something we should look into. Reading online I saw somebody say a quality charger that monitors battery level is better than battery maintainer, is this true?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts