Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the front range ice isn't completely gone, bc is still fishable but who really cares. caught one slimer and a nice small between the two of us today. ice is good I left a plank over by the boat ramp you will need it to get on there but if you go over to pelican point you can pretty much walk on.the people that run this place aught to be ashamed of themselves imo. what use to be a great perch, smallmouth and saugeye lake has turned into a stocker only pool.what a shame

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe the down fall of the perch etc was due to the floods in 2013(not sure that was the year but there was a flood at some recent time), the lake was bigger than Chatfield at one point. When the lake floods like that a lot of silt and debris cover the bottom and smother the food and spawning areas. The other factor is that they have to let that excess water go down stream and that sucks a lot of fish out of the lake. Hopefully the lake will make a comeback but it may take a few years who knows how many.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I believe the down fall of the perch etc was due to the floods in 2013(not sure that was the year but there was a flood at some recent time), the lake was bigger than Chatfield at one point. When the lake floods like that a lot of silt and debris cover the bottom and smother the food and spawning areas. The other factor is that they have to let that excess water go down stream and that sucks a lot of fish out of the lake. Hopefully the lake will make a comeback but it may take a few years who knows how many.
Looks like I’ll be trying to fish a few holes in the south platte around here on my route then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts