Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

BE SAFE - LIVE TO FISH ANOTHER DAY

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  afishman 
Cutthroat said:
I think 6" is a one-size-fits-all rule that insures safety for pretty much everyone out there. If you insist on going alone, take some ice picks with you, so you have a chance to pull yourself out if the need should arise.

Everyone I know is planning to go to Chambers, which had 6" a week ago, and at 10,000 feet the temps have been plenty cold enough to keep it solid in the interim.

My personal rule is 4" of ice minimum, but at that thickness I'm taking only the necessities to keep light, and you won't see me jumping up and down!

Most states that make recommendations recommend 2" of ice for one person, but given the variable quality of ice in some cases, 2" doesn't inspire my conidence enough to venture onto the ice.
ditto.
What was funny today however, island lake had 6" of ice and the guy at the lodge said they don't think its safe until january...lol there is like 2 foot of ice then. oh well guess they don't want to be sued by some bozo. People that don't icefish don't understand how safe it can be. (however it can be dangerous to so take care)

I always go with partners, I've only icefished alone a few times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.