Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL - stupid question of the century, but i don't tie flies so i really don't know....when tying a beadhead pattern, does the bead go on first or last?  if first, does it slide of the hook/barb to the eyelet or if last, does it go over the eyelet. 

i'd like to buy a clue please  ???

i was reading an article with pictures on tying the barr emerger, a favorite of mine.  the last picture showed the beadhead added.  so i was confused.

see for yourself

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/jbemerge/

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
No sweat...the bead goes on first, slide it over the hooks barb and seat it up against the eye--thats when you can start your thread on the shank and give a few wraps up the shank against the bead to hold it in place. its important you size your beads correctly so they fit proportionatly on your hook....beads too small are hard to slip on over the hooks barb or the hooks bend---and ones too large slip off. its easier prior to trying your patterns to go ahead and put some beads on several hooks first, so you dont have to do it as you go along...it saves time. also using a pair of hemostats also can make the job easier, especially with the size 18 hooks and smaller.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i would have thought, but what about the link and pictures? all the tying was done first, then the bead added? magic!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
yeah, thats magic...ive never tied a bead head pattern with the bead on last...

trust me, it goes on first lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have seen guys put a bead on the tippet ahead of the fly and then pulling it over the hook eye. Never done it myself but may solve some mysteries

Fish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts