Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took he dog for a walk along Bear Creek below the reservoir this am. I always thought it only ran a few inches deep except for after a rain. I was surprised to see pools, riffles, runs and beaver ponds. It actually looks very fishy.

My question is does anyone fish it? Are there any fish? I know they stock the ponds along the creek.

Dan

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've fished above the res in Bear Creek and had a great time on small browns with dry flies and then little spinners. Saw a couple fish that would've been 16 plus, big for that size creek. How do you access the creek below the res? Maybe I'll do a little prospecting this week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've not fished below Bear Creek Reservoir, but I have above it. Right in the Town of Morrison, across from the Morrison Inn. Caught alot of 10-12 inch browns. Great place real close to Denver. I would think below the reservoir would be good. Water temperatures are probably low and the flows are stablized by the reservoir. Don't know about stocking.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think the water temp would be pretty stable coming out of the reservoir too. From what I have seen the water level does not seem to fluctuate too much.

You can access from a greenbelt running on the North side of 285.

Dan

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dan,

I have not fished it for a while, but I caught a 3 Lb. Brown about 7 years ago. Just this last summer I caught a 2 Lb. rainbow just under the bike/walking bridge over Bear Creek (next to where Dartmouth ends at the west end of Bear Creek Park on the west side of Wadsworth). I live about 4 blocks east of the bridge just north of Dartmouth.

I used to take my kids down to the creek and the ponds on the west side of Wadsworth all the time ... but now that the kids are teenagers they now have better things to do than fish with the old man.

Bear Creek is loaded with crawdads and creek chubs too.

Mac

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
In about 10 years ago when I was running along Bear Creek I stopped for a break when I saw a family fishing along the river. I thought in my mind...."they are most likely not catching any fish just out enjoying a good day." I starting jogging again and on the way back I decided to ask how they were doing expecting to here them say not a bite all day or something to that effect. However to my suprise the women set here pole down and went towards the bank and lifted up a striger of about 10 rainbows around 14-16 inches (this was back in the 8 trout limit days I think and they had about 4 kids with them as well). I was totally amazed to see them actually catch decent trout out of that creek. I never fished the creek however several other times while jogging I noticed smaller 5-10 inch fish in schooling in the pools. The water was always to murky to see what exactly they were so I will not take a guess they are the "Creek Chubs" that MacGyver-O-Fishin was talking about.

TH

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
VolFan said:
Maybe I'll do a little prospecting this week.
Do it, do it, do it! Don't be surprised if you catch me out there...

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had some success using worm on a floater for some decent rainbows at bear creek reservoir. let me tell u a funny story i encountered at bear creek reservoir. i was using worms to catch crawdads off the bottom (i was having extremely slow day and i was, honestly enjoying catching crawdads). i saw the pole move like a crawdad was hitting it. i left it alone and the next second the pole gets dragged into the water. i never found that pole again. Im assuming it was a tiger muskie that attacked a crawdad that was eating the worm off my hook. and ever since then i became a believer. lake monsters do exist! :eek:
anyways i don't think theres a access to the spillway. i seen it too. it looks like a good fishing spot but it also looks like a private property and is fenced up. around it is a golf course. maybe u can ask them and see if you can bum through.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Has anyone fished this recently? I wonder if Saugeyes or Smallies are down there??? You can access this by parking at Fox Hollow golf course, and there is public fishing access to the creek and the outlet area.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fished below Bear Creek Res. several times last year. Access is easy via the golf course. Several times golfers would stop to chat and be more interested in me fishing than there own game. The beverage cart lady will even sell you a beer. I’ve landed only one trout in this section, but hundreds of creek chub. If you want to practice nymph fishing, go after Chub one day near Kipling. The golf course made some small dams along the creek that hold bass, and carp. You Can Not fish the G.C. ponds, but can fish all of the creek up to the spillway.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The big spillway pond is pretty good sometimes, the river through the golf course is really shallow except during extreme high water. I've had better luck above the res in the river than below, between the res and C-470.

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks for the info...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Fished the creek near the ponds on wadsworth yesterday, really off color, and high flow due to the rain, a drift was more like a balls out blast down the current. It looked as though it would have potential on a better day.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
O. clarki stomias said:
I fished below Bear Creek Res. several times last year. Access is easy via the golf course. Several times golfers would stop to chat and be more interested in me fishing than there own game. The beverage cart lady will even sell you a beer. I’ve landed only one trout in this section, but hundreds of creek chub. If you want to practice nymph fishing, go after Chub one day near Kipling. The golf course made some small dams along the creek that hold bass, and carp. You Can Not fish the G.C. ponds, but can fish all of the creek up to the spillway.
Do chubs work as bait?

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
da_teacher said:
O. clarki stomias said:
I fished below Bear Creek Res. several times last year.  Access is easy via the golf course.  Several times golfers would stop to chat and be more interested in me fishing than there own game.  The beverage cart lady will even sell you a beer.   I’ve landed only one trout in this section, but hundreds of creek chub.  If you want to practice nymph fishing, go after Chub one day near Kipling. The golf course made some small dams along the creek that hold bass, and carp.  You Can Not fish the G.C. ponds, but can fish all of the creek up to the spillway.
Do chubs work as bait?
Oh yeah!

·
Registered
201 Posts
O Clarki...has the scoop on the best access.....There's literally a "fishermans parking" lot just below the spillway...I drove up there out of curiousity last week. threw a small spoon in the creek a couple of times and then hiked up and over the dam for some shore fishing.....Also free acess to the res. Don't worry,,,,they get their share of fees out of me when i put the canoe in. I think that entire chain from Evergreen Lake_________________________________________________Bear Creek_________________________________________________Bear Creek Res._________________________________________________Spillway and Creek....is all very similar fishing....fun for stockers (8"-14") and a few nice surprises here and there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts