Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear Creek above Morrison is all clear of ice and looking beautiful. Low, clear water levels like August/September and easy to wade. I tried some common sections above Morrison yesterday and got some nice bows and browns mostly on a nymph dropper...any old attractor seemed fine. Around noon, I hit a stretch of 4 or 5 nice long, deep riffles in a row, and they were freakin alive with rising trout. They were gorging themselves on something on the surface for well over an hour and damn if I could figure it out. I kept tying on smaller dries and eventually got a lot of hits on a tiny adams, but overall certainly did not match what they were feeding on and missed out on a possibile frenzy. How small do you think the stuff was they were feeding on??? I mean, there are ten trout continuously coming up within 10 feet of me and i'm bending down staring at the water for 5 minutes and I can't see a single bug floating by! frustrating but not the first time it has happened...happened just last week on the bit thompson. anyway, they were definitely coming up to the surface; i watched them do it, but just couldn't see anything big enough that they were eating. overall a fun day until the never-ending wind became insane and I had to wrap it up. the trees around me were all cracking and creaking in the massive wind gusts and water was being lifted up off the surface and pelting me so it was time to go.
if you're looking to fish bear creek, it sure looks nice right now and once the melt starts, it won't see these water levels until august, probably. i think i might try some of those harder to get to canyon sections now that the water is low. good luck.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great first report...welcome to the site!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the report. I've had the same experience with fish rising and can't see anything on the surface......usually suspect is midges that are very hard to see. You can match them with very small stuff like size 26 griffiths nat, or any dry midge pattern that is very small, then play around with color variations. Only problem is your dry pattern is so small you have a hard time seeing it, but you can trail it off something bigger like a parachute adams that you can see and use as a strike indicator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts