Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - Colorado wildlife managers say they're discussing whether to change hunting rules after a man reported shooting and killing a large black bear in its den.

Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton tells the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel the hunter didn't break any rules. Hampton says the incident does raise "ethical issues."

The hunter, Richard Kendall of Craig, defends his decision. He says he waited outside the northwest Colorado den for five hours, hoping the bear would emerge, before crawling about 6 feet into it and seeing the bear.

The Sentinel reports the bear weighed 703 pounds, about 50 percent more than most black bears.

The newspaper says preliminary measurements indicate the bear could set a state size record.

Read more: Colorado discussing hunting rules after man kills bear in its den - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_16875004?source=rss#ixzz18JDlXcMV
DailyCamera.com
must have been one heck of a battle.i hope this moron is really proud of himself

·
Registered
193 Posts
thats what makes us hunters look bad and there is alot of other stuff like that also going on wth big named people also its not looking to good for us right now! :mad: :mad:

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
For a minute I thought this thread said "Beers" and I got all tingly. Bummer that a douche shot a sleeping bear... Kinda like watching those bear hunting clips where the hunter sits in a tree over three 55 gal drums of rotting doughnuts, also very sporting IMO

Beers, though..... Tingly

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
"it is ours to bear."

No pun intended Im sure ::) ::)

How many of us would crawl into the den of a bear with tracks that big? Especially if they were fresh.
Ever been to Texas and hunted over bait? Do you hunt geese in corn fields, use live bait fishing, hunt with hounds? You get the picture.
And, no, I don't get this picture. I've killed more than my share of geese over cut corn & wheat, landed many a fish on live bait, and harvested plenty of pheasant with my own "hound". If by "hound" you mean treeing an animal in the dark and killing it, no.....

Going in to a den to harvest that bear is way over the line, the source of the story doesn't matter

Beers..... Tingly

·
Registered
844 Posts
My point is cite the law he broke. We have THE DOW spokesman questioning the ethics of a hunter, thats a road we don't want to go down who harvested a bear within their regulations. If he broke the law arrest him or shut up. Let the rest of us question his ethics.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regardless that should not be somthing that is allowed in my opinion. And if you think that is ethical then you really should not be hunting, i have had many time out hunting it comes down to the last few minutes of light and here come some birds they flare about 45yds out yes it is easly within range of a shotgun but is it ethical not really very easy to cripple a bird. Also if you think "hunting" sleeping animals is hunting then maybe you should sit back and really think about how that sounds NO CHALLENGE and if you think there is a challenge in that you need to go with some one that knows what they are doing and the people that tought you about hunting also shouldnt be hunting. I was tought by an unethical hunter and i did not like how he hunted and started going with people who knew what they were doing and now cant stand people like that. would you consider an 60yd shot on a goose ethical?

·
Registered
193 Posts
No because when they get enough people at dow to agree somthing is wrong or right then it will get changed and also he is a person and has his opinions regarless of were he works.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
My point is cite the law he broke. We have THE DOW spokesman questioning the ethics of a hunter, thats a road we don't want to go down who harvested a bear within their regulations. If he broke the law arrest him or shut up. Let the rest of us question his ethics.
Very well put. Opinions of "fair chase" will always vary wildly. Sounds like he made a quick and humane kill on quarry that was unaware of his presence. The devil is in the details and how you present it. Had the unqualified masses not made management descisions for DOW then the bear harvest could have been acheived far earlier in the seasson and long before bears were "denned". Next thing you know they will be crying because a hunter stalked and took a big buck that was bedded.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Still find another bear the bear was ASLEEP there is a diference between stalking and them not knowing your there and shooting an animal that is asleep

·
Registered
844 Posts
Still find another bear the bear was ASLEEP there is a diference between stalking and them not knowing your there and shooting an animal that is asleep
As sour as it might make you people do shoot bedded deer and elk, I have shot fox while they slept on the snow in the sun.
I got some problems in my mind about shooting a lion from a tree but my daughter got one that way and I don't bash her and if some DOW spokesman bashed her it would be on.
Dave a few posts back you tore into me as though I did this and brought into question my upbringing, think again.
I do really think that we need to take a look at exactly what happened, I don't know if the tracks were fresh and they could see that it was a huge bear and it goes into a cave. What do you do at that point? Was the bear actually sleeping? Was the cave large enough to let in light? If he used artificial light then there is a crime.
Put yourself into his position at the point the bear went into the cave. Didn't the story say the bear was growling?

·
Registered
193 Posts
No i have never shot a deer or elk let alone a bedded one also i would not have shot the fox sleeping. now if i knew the bear was there and there were fresh tracks then i would have left come back another day and set up outside of the cave a little bit and wateed for the bear to come out. Then you people????????? Know one i know has shot a sleeping animal nor one that is bedded down.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
daveschnd said:
No i have never shot a deer or elk let alone a bedded one also i would not have shot the fox sleeping. now if i knew the bear was there and there were fresh tracks then i would have left come back another day and set up outside of the cave a little bit and wateed for the bear to come out. Then you people????????? Know one i know has shot a sleeping animal nor one that is bedded down.
How many years of hunting experience do you have daveschnd????? Have you ever even hunted? Based on your posts this topic seems to be more than a little outside your area of experience man. Easy to take a position on something you really have no idea about. If no one you know has ever taken an animal that was even bedded down then you either don't know many hunters or the ones you know aren't very good hunters. Please let us know how you developed your expertise on big game hunting before we waste abunch of time replying to your posts.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I haven't hunted bear....not too sure on the ethical procedures involved in bear hunting...However...if I was a bear..that's how I'd want to go...in my sleep.. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
daveschnd said:
How many years of hunting experience do you have daveschnd????? Have you ever even hunted? Based on your posts this topic seems to be more than a little outside your area of experience man. Easy to take a position on something you really have no idea about. If no one you know has ever taken an animal that was even bedded down then you either don't know many hunters or the ones you know aren't very good hunters. Please let us know how you developed your expertise on big game hunting before we waste abunch of time replying to your posts.
i dont big game hunt and i have been hunting for 7 years. i know plety of people that hunt big game and 95% of the animals they shoot drop in there tracks the other 5 make it about 30ft and i learned my ethics from pros "guides".
---max---

1 - 20 of 70 Posts