Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope this is the right spot, i took the ol boat out yesterday to well, get out of the house. everything was okay, until i drove home. seems ALL the police out generating revenue is for their pay only not road repair.... everytime i take the boat out, a pothole knocks a buddy off.... litterally one everytrip it seems. is there a better brand that stays on? im fairly mechanically inclined so im quite confused ? last year i replaced, drums, bearings, the full rebuild. i know colorados roads are rated the best evar, but damn... *extreme sarcasm.. lol. thanks fellow boaters. anyone else have this issue? :confused:

·
Registered
547 Posts
hope this is the right spot, i took the ol boat out yesterday to well, get out of the house. everything was okay, until i drove home. seems ALL the police out generating revenue is for their pay only not road repair.... everytime i take the boat out, a pothole knocks a buddy off.... litterally one everytrip it seems. is there a better brand that stays on? im fairly mechanically inclined so im quite confused ? last year i replaced, drums, bearings, the full rebuild. i know colorados roads are rated the best evar, but damn... *extreme sarcasm.. lol. thanks fellow boaters. anyone else have this issue? :confused:
Try putting a single wrap of elec tape around the rear edge of the BB ; before using a rubber headed hammer to beat them in. Make sure the tape is tucked around and inside the bb. Use a small bit of 2X4, flat over the end to distribute the blows evenly over the bearing buddy. The BB should set in the hub at least a 1/4" or more. Sounds like your hubs are a bit "worn " on the outer edge that the buddy sits in. I have lost three bearing buddies in almost thirty rears of dragging a boat around the country, this " fix" has solved those issues for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Only had my boat for a season but am out at least once a week and I drive towing like it wasn't there... or more like I am fleeing the scene of a crime. No regard really what soever for pot holes speed bumps anything. pretty light, 14ft seaking, but it is decked off and has flooring? Never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. its 1.98 dia, new equipment. not worn. i have a spare checked the bearings for debris, regreased bc the grease was clean. grease clean. lol. i have a small slab of wood i put between me and the hammer. theyre a ***** to get in, is why im surprised.
also i dont drive over 65 towing, and avoid potholes as best one can without beeing a road jedi. its a 18.5 deepv pretty heavy. i wish i had a dual axle trailer tbh.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I tow well over 5000 miles per year and have never lost one. Must be something that is happening during installation.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Had mine put on by the shop up north everyone recomends for trailer work,... Jim's or Pete's or some guys name I think.

Awesome guys by the way,... pretty mcuh fabricated 2 new fenders welded it up, new axle, spare tire and rim, new berring buddies, was 160 bucks,... I don't know seemed like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

If installed properly and they are the correct size this is a puzzlement.

Next trip drive the rig at freeway speeds for a while then pull over and feel the hubs. They should be warm but you should be able to leave your hand on the hub. If their hot you have a bearing problem and the hub could be swelling from the heat and the BB comes out.

An 18.5 footer usually doesn't but, does this trailer have brakes? If so maybe the hub is swelling due to heat from the brakes and the BB comes out. Check the brakes.

Second thought defective hubs. Check the hub bore for correct size.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If installed properly and they are the correct size this is a puzzlement.

Next trip drive the rig at freeway speeds for a while then pull over and feel the hubs. They should be warm but you should be able to leave your hand on the hub. If their hot you have a bearing problem and the hub could be swelling from the heat and the BB comes out.

An 18.5 footer usually doesn't but, does this trailer have brakes? If so maybe the hub is swelling due to heat from the brakes and the BB comes out. Check the brakes.

Second thought defective hubs. Check the hub bore for correct size.
On a trip to Spinney from Denver I got out at Fairplay and checked the hubs COLD to the touch. Again I drive it like I stole it.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Snagged up is right. In fact....if you want bearing buddies......take a magnet to the boat ramp in the summer......the hubs get a tad warm and swell a bit....then you back into the cold water and the bearing buddy shrinks first and can literally fall out.....don't ask how I know. So if one guys loses one bearing buddy every other day at a busy ramp.....that's a low percent actually failing but they add up quick in the lake.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

Third thought:

To check the BB's fit into your hubs.

When I rebuild my trailers bearings I have a hard time removing my BB's to get the bearings out. I remove mine with a pair of channel locks and a rocking, pulling motion. I have also had to tap on them with a hammer to break them loose.

So I was thinking that maybe you should try to remove your BB's after it has been sitting and see how hard they are to remove from the hubs. If they are hard to remove from the hubs I believe the hubs are swelling from heat.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boats fairly heavy, wide beam. it has brakes, on the trailer. drove around temps to touch are fine. i m starting to think i hit a awesome colo dip and off it went. putting the replacement on today was snug. test drove several miles.
i run 150 miles or more a day on my trailer. thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also go over 5k in maybe 3 months.. might just be the few miles i put on it. and the wonderful colo roads.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you loose another BB post it.

My trailer is 12 years old and I have never lost a BB and not on any of my previous trailers. If you continue to loose them somethings amiss.

Another thought.

If I remember you stated you drive with the boat likes it's not there, right. How about this idea, you are using the brakes a lot, going down a mountain pass the hubs get hot and then the pot hole knocks it off. So I would keep in mind the next time I was using the brakes a lot and then check the hubs for heat.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i drive like the trailer /boats worth millions, its a duranmax so i dont have to use the brakes, and i take corners slow. i drive alot, 3months well over 5k miles, im wondering if its just i drive and fish ALL the time.
thanks all. heading out to beat 28pds a few days ago... cant let my buddies chick beat me fishin..... lol.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
...its a duranmax so i dont have to use the brakes...
Just because you don't think you are using the brakes on the truck much does not mean the trailer brakes are not activating. If you are using tow/haul mode and/or an exhaust brake, that may be enough to activate the surge brakes on the boat trailer.

I easily put on 5000 miles + on my boat trailer per year. Have done so for 10 + years. I have never lost a set of BB. There is an issue above the mileage you are driving.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well after a teardown today, the spindle is toast. chaffed from a prev bearing failure.

not too many shops here that remove and reweld spindles. anyone have this repair have a good shop. i live s springs but will tear the axle off and drive for the proper mech work to repair the issue.
700 miles today on this r n d bleh day...... weather in gunnison was nice........fishing well now that was a thought up to the super duper awesome teardown at safeway... thanks for any good shops/welder leads.
it was something else like you guys suggested btw.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't mean to hijack here but have a question on the same matter.
I just bought a well taken care of pop up camper that had hub covers.
I lost a cover over a cattle grate in Wyoming so I went to the only store and bought knock off bearing buddies. They seem to be the same exact product.
My question is for guys that use them is once they are on do you ever remove them and inspect the bearings or just regrease when necessary and let it ride?
I told the guy I bought it from and he said he was old school and doesn't like them. He claimed to much grease creates heat and I should just use covers but the buddies seem so easy to deal with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Bearing buddies or not, I always removed and repacked every year on my boat trailers...Of course they got backed into water..water can kill bearings. On a camper..I'd repack every few years. Just remember to check the inside of the rim for grease and don't push too much grease into the bearings. Also remember that the number one way to kill a bearing is to over tighten it. Tighten to seat the bearing and then back it off a quarter turn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never lost a BB in 30+ years of pulling trailers. I thought the BB's were great when they came out. Another problem with them is when someone puts just a little to much grease in them and blows out the back seal, had that happen a couple of times and that cost me a new axle once.
I much prefer the newer EZ-Lube hubs for lubing the hubs and don't have to mess with the over loosen or tightening of the bearing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts