Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been too damn hot here in glenwood, so I've been spending my weekend up high. This weekend, I decided to hit a great brookie lake I found last summer. The road getting in to it is very rough, and not many stock 4x4's would make it. Most just hike in, but I wanted to camp at the lake. I got off work around 5:30 friday, and after a couple quick stops, was on the road just after 6. Got to the lake around 8:30, and was greeted by an impressive view...

I fished for a few minutes, and landed one brookie around 12". I was getting destroyed by mosquitos, and it was getting dark fast, so I set up camp and called it a night after a few beers. It poured rain, and I had quite the lightning show that night!

Woke up the next morning, got the tube set up, and went to work. Caught lot's of brookies, with every one 12-14". Jigging small gold kastys over deeper water was the ticket...

Also spent plenty of time relaxing in the shade by the lake, and enjoying the sunset later!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next day I woke up a bit earlier and got back at it. Same thing as the day before, lots of brooks, with the biggest just under 15". Gold kastys and black wooly buggers fished over deep water worked well!

After awhile I got the idea to chase some splake at a different lake. It wasn't very far away, but rough roads made it about a 2 hour trek. I wasn't really sure where to start since I had never fished here before, but I hauled my tube down the hill and headed for what looked like a deep area near an island. Took me a bit to get them figured out, and had to weed threw a couple slimers, but eventually throwing kastys out pretty deep, letting them sink to the bottom, and jigging them in got me in to a few. They weren't very big, but they hit very hard and fight well!

Hopefully you guys are enjoying the high country as well!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your brookie lake is one of my favorites. Nice job! Looks like the kasty did well, next time try a 3" white curly tail. You won't be able to keep them off! Beautiful pic of the peak in the background. Love it, would you consider sending me a copy? PM me if so. I'd love to have it. Again, great job and thanks for not telling everybody where it is!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Great job looks really fun...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice little camping trip there and very nice fish! I need to get out of the heat also, been working on HVAC's on roofs most every day last few weeks. Re-doig the suspension on my truck right now so I'll live vicariously through reports like this for now!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts