Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday started out GREAT, temps in the upper 30's, only one other boat on the lake, NO WIND. I started with a proto jerk bait in firetiger and got SLIMED right away. On some days I love trout but today, trout were to be canon fodder ;) After I "release" my slimer the captain hooks up on a lipped dynamo. Decent pike and we have been at it less than 30 minutes. The pike had their feed bags on yesterday for sure but it was a brutal day of losing fish for me. Once the wind came up we switched to 9" swimbaits, with a 4 ounce lure you can beat the wind >:D The big baits seemed to be the ticket too, we were slow rolling them along the bottom and you would feel the pike slam them and you had to pause and wait for the TIC, TIC, BOOM!! Sometimes it would only be TIC, many times I got TIC,TIC, TIC....................................... :'(. I got a really great hit, and hookset on a very decent fish, seconds in and it was gone ??? ??? I reel in my swimbait and the trailer rig tied on #25 fluoro is MIA :eek: Really bummed about that one, as it was a good fish.

Tally for the day was 1 piece of bait and one pike landed for me and 5 landed for my partner, biggest taped at 35". We did see a mid 40" fish but it only teased with by following a bait all the way to the boat, and the flipping me the fin O0

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Nice. Im jealous. I have wanted pike for the past 2 weeks or so but haven't been able to get after em. Sucks about the hookset trouble. Sure you weren't fishing with Senkos? :D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slimer said:
Damn.

Had that happen to me on 25 or bigger flouro. Makes you wonder if it was a massive hammer handle or the world record slimer. :D :D :D
I saw the fish, mid 30" pike, probably my own fault for not checking the line often enough yesterday.

I threatened to break out the 10" sinko's but never did

I also had the fly rod out and got tons of follows and swipes on a crazy 7" orange/white/silver fly but once the wind started there was no more of that sillyness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts