Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing with my son and my uncle today. It was sad and happy at the same time... We're leaving in less than a month, and chances are this will be the last trip with Uncle Lance.

Anyway, to the fishing.

Water temp was even warmer than last week. The gills were a bit more aggressive than before and they were really hitting the baits and running.

We caught about 15 gills in a little over an hour, 9 keepers... the largest one being about 8", maybe a shade under.

Had a great time with the uncle today. He hadn't been out fishing yet this year, so it was nice to see him get into some fish too.

Tight lines, everyone.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Great job getting him into some fish!!! Theres always more pressure when you take someone else fishing

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. We had some fun.

Buck's patience is something he needs to work on. He has the hookset down now, but he's still learning when to use it. 2 bumps and he's trying to rip heads off... I told him, "Buddy, wait til you KNOW that fish has the bait... THEN set the hook." It's still going to take some time. He just turned 5 and all I can hope for is that he continues on this path.

Hey... he loves fishing. I've done my f***ing job. ;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...AND...

The money shot.

Thank you Food Saver vacuum sealer... you're my best friend. ;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It is. But we are having a big fish fry on the 18th of this month (going away party) and I'm trying to put some meat away for it. It took all my willpower not to roll these in Zatarans fish fry mix and deep fry em on the spot.

With the vacuum sealer, they stay about as fresh as fresh can get. Virtually no chance of freezer burn... Especially only having em in the freezer for a couple weeks.

This was a fish fry I had with my folks when we went to Kentucky at the end of March. These crappie, gills, and shellcracker were caught in October of 2013, and dad vacuum sealed em... We thawed them out and they tasted like they were caught that day.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since there's no limit on gills and a very high limit on shellcrackers in KY, he kept probably 50-60 gills and shellcrackers that day and fileted them all. We ate about 20 sunfish and 8 crappie that night, so he still has enough meat for at least 2 more big fish fry meals in the freezer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts