Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't sure with the full moon and high pressure if it would be a good day, but it was. Got 4 between 32 and 36 inches on a jig. I thought this one was quite a beautiful representation of my favorite species.

When i kissed my daughter on the cheek at 5:30 a.m, she asked me to bring her a fish so I spent the last half hour trolling a smaller bait.. She was very entertained by one of the crayfish that was still alive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That surely is a beautiful representation; nice work man!
Those things are eatin' like kings; crawdads for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, to answer dallasdb, I don't know maybe 15, maybe 20, weight can be hard to quess sometimes. Anybody got some estimates?

I used to keep track of that kind of info by keeping the fish in the net, hooking the scale to the net, and zeroing out the scale to the net. Anymore I don't bother.

I like to get pics but also leave most of them in the water, in the net, then reach in with my pliers and try and grab the hook and pop it out. Then back the net off the Fish and let it swim away without ever touching it. Most of the real big lakers I've landed after a hard fight will just lay there, but I figure its better than putting that big fish on the deck of the boat and having it go ape ****. The bigger pike are good example of this. I don't lIke having those gnarly beasts in my boat

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an amazing fish. What power rod and what lb test did you catch it on?
6 foot medium fast, shimano 2500 spin real spooled with 15 pound power pro braid with 10' of 2x Rio Flouro flex tippet for my leader.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great pic of that beautiful specimen! I like how you tastefully did the background and that it still makes for a very nice pic. And of course seeing children with a smile like that is always cool :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Nice I'd say about the same as this, one of my favorites species, I bet mine was more fun though…..
BTW, get out of my spot!!

I checked your spot, the guide, and to many trollers running through there!

Im coming back for some river kings and going to make you do it with a fly rod.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I checked your spot, the guide, and to many trollers running through there!
That figures…. I thought I was missing Lake trout fishing for a minute, Lol.

Im coming back for some river kings and going to make you do it with a fly rod.
There were fly guys on both sides of me that didn't get a bite. Old school hardware.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There were fly guys on both sides of me that didn't get a bite. Old school hardware.
Well I got these reds one right after the other on the fly, I guess next year ill see if the kings are any harder to hook. i had a couple reds eat my lunch that day, I'm sure landing a king once hooked will be hard.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Cute kiddo Fordo, my little girl loves to see the fish i catch too...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Great report, nice fish and cute kiddo!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts