Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to try out some beaver pond flyfishing. I found one along the west fork of the Clear Creek river near Empire, but I didn't see anything but minnows. Does anyone know of any productive ponds? I promise I won't deplete the fishing as I always practice catch and release.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know where your located but, there are several productive Beaver Ponds on the road up to Jefferson Lake off 285. They don't seemed to get overfished even though access is pretty easy this time of year.
Good Luck!!
Take any garbage out with you please!! There are a lot of piggy fisherman in the area!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Exactly where are they in relation to Jefferson Lake? I was up along I-70 trying out some ponds that were somewhat like beaver ponds. There were some fish in them, but they were really spooky. I was trying to be really stealthy but they swam off when I came within 15 feet of the ponds. I'm still dreaming about those beaver ponds full of brookies that will take nearly anything you throw at them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Take 285 to Jefferson. Almost across the street from the Jefferson store is the road to Jefferson Lake. ( Right turn off 285) As you enter the Park area you will see the stream and some of the ponds. Just get out and start working your way up. From my limited experience in this type fishing, I have done better with ultra-light spin equipment as I can stay further away, cast further and more accurately. and get a lot fewer tangles. I use 2#/6# Fireline which is almost invisible and small Z-rays, and Panther Martins.
Bill

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch. After my experiences this weekend, I think stealing my little girl's telescoping ultralight might be more productive. I dealt with all the things you talked about. Spooking the fish from being too close (and I was at least 10 yards away) and tangles that are inevitable in flyfishing. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
46 Posts
silicone boy said:
Does anyone know of any productive ponds?

The ponds near the east portal of the Moffit Tunnel have always produced for me. If you are willing to drive, the McIntyre Creek area west of Ft. Collins is home to some nice beaver ponds that hold some pretty brookies. http://resourceanalysis.com for details.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! I heard rumors from friends about beaver ponds near the East Portal but could never pinpoint them. My office staff has basically locked me out of the office on the weekend of August 5th just so I could go fishing. I think I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you get down south into the sangre de cristo mts the beaver ponds on the middle taylor creek on the way to hermit lake are loaded with smallish brookies and the ocational cut. nice thing is you can drive right to them and still have good fishing

·
Registered
19 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but I stumbled upon it during a google search. I like to fish the Beaver ponds
on the way up to Mosquito Pass. Nice brookies & cuts!

Mosquito Pass – Rugged, high terrain is accessible only in the mid-summer months. From Fairplay, take Highway 9 four miles to CR 12 (Mosquito Gulch Road). YOu will see the ponds on your left going up the Pass.

If you want to go over the pas, on the west side of the pass, the road turns into FDR 438 and drops down into the town of Leadville. Difficulty is moderate to difficult. High-clearance, 4WD is recommended. Mosquito Pass is the highest pass in Colorado at 13,186 ft. It normally does not open until the last weekend in July unless snowpack is below normal.

have fun!
Weston Pass (nearby) also has some great beaver ponds. I find the fish are more spooked there.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Old thread. Thanks for the tip. One of the few good things about the latest snowstorm is that I blew up the transmission on my foofoo Acura MDX, so I'm trading it in for a real 4 wheel drive vehicle, a Hummer H3. Can't wait to get up there.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I found a few ponds in the lost park area (up 285 left just after kenosha pass). It would be confusing if gave all the directions on here but if you drive around and camp on some of those 4x4 roads you'll run across them. Some of the creeks are so small and the fish are so spooky you have to crawl to the edge toss flies out by hand.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I hit a couple beaver ponds along Clear Creek this summer, nothing to big lots of small brookies and a couple small browns... I fished them during the runoff and the best places I found for a little larger fish were in the slack water from flood areas because of the runoff. Above small waterfalls ect... but fish were very very skidish, small dry flies worked best for me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Great pics ePiC,

And so green and lush... all I have seen for the last month is white and hard... even brown is now welcome ;D

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not knowing where you are located so it's probably a trip for you but from Buena Vista up cottonwood pass. Pass the lakes there are about 5 miles of beaver ponds. Some hard to fish some easy all have plenty of good eating brook. Have fun and eaten up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts