Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I fished about once a year when I was a kid in the West Texas desert and now that I have moved to Colorado (where there are actual lakes and rivers ;) ), I am interested in fishing. Nothing spectacular, I just want to try catching anything (trout, bass, catfish, anything simple).

I've done some searching on the web for information, but I haven't really found much. The most I found was on the DOW site, but not much on techniques, equipment or bait. I figured joining this forum would help and I could learn some things from ppl that are more experienced than I am. I have also ordered the "Fishing Close to Home" book from the DOW to find places close to Denver.

If anyone has any advice, books, or links that would point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Welcome izl...

What city do you live in and how far are you willing to drive?

Do you have any gear...rods reels and lures/flies/hooks?

I will say right off that I think the biggest mistake beginners and even the experienced make is using too heavy of line...I would rather have a shot at them and have them break off than have them shy away and no shot at all...

So please give us a little more info and we will be glad to help...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There are always people looking for fishing partners too on this site so if you want some hands on fishing help try to tag along on one of those type trips... When you were growing up in Texas what type of fishing did you do there?
There is a couple techniques you can never go wrong with and that is a couple split shot and a worm, hooked so it dangles not bunched up on the hook. This will catch pretty much any species of fish. Another technique for Trout is a couple splitshots and some Fireballs on a small egg hook... or some powerbait on a small treble hook.
The first thing I had to get use to when moving here was downsizing my hardware, weights and hooks and line. Also when trout fishing you dont have to set the hook like a mad man... simply lifting your rod into the air sets the hook on the trouts soft mouth.
Other then that simple advice everything else is more about technique and conditions on what to use, so if you can give us more info on what species and when we can help you with what to use and why.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome izl! This time of year, the weather has kinda limited the opportunities that will be available as soon as the weather warms up. However, theres still plenty of good fishing to be had! Ice fishing is a blast, and really doesn't require a huge cash output to get into, especially if you head out with someone who has a few of the larger ticket items (auger, portable fish finder, etc.). Actually, next weekend (the 11th) myself, lunkerlaker and a few others are heading up to Granby for a bit of ice fishing, and you're welcome to come see for yourself. The only other places to get in some reliable fishing are places where the water flow has kept the water open. The outflow sides of dams are a great place to try, and just downriver from the 11 mile dam is one pretty hot spot this time of year. Let us know what city you live in, and what you're interested in, and I'm sure someone will be more than willing to give you some tips or take you out and show you the ropes. Welcome to CO, and tight lines!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome to the site & colo. iz.Once the weather and the water turn warmer,you are more than welcome to go with us to wet a line.By then you might even be a veteran,who knows.Good Luck to ya and rip lips.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I will say right off that I think the biggest mistake beginners and even the experienced make is using too heavy of line...I would rather have a shot at them and have them break off than have them shy away and no shot at all...
This is changing the subject a bit, but I think its a good time to bring this up. I have noticed a lot of people on this site complaining about people harvesting really big, nice fish, and also read a lot about people having huge lakers break their line and get away and no one says crap about that.These fish have a far less chance of survival with a lure attached to their jaw. Maybe a little compromise would be the right thing to do here? Going with a little bigger line and maybe getting less hits but ensuring that you do land that occasional huge one and not making a trophy size fish try to survive with hardware in it's mouth? Just a thought....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  :D

I used to fish for catfish, bass and sometimes trout when we'd camp in New Mexico. I have a Shakespeare rod that I've had for a long time, but I'm thinking of getting a new one. A few hooks, a few catfish stinkbait lures (?), some splitshot weights, some 8lb test line (its really old Eagle claw 8lb test) is what I have in the tacklebox. I want to try to fish for bass around where I live (east Denver near Tower road and 40th). I think I want to try trout in the mountains when the weather warms. I don't think I want to try ice fishing yet, I haven't adjusted to the cold weather.

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
buying some new line would be a good place to start. A good, all around line is 6 pound stren original. That is light enough for trout and just heavy enough to catch bass, catfish, walleye and pike. Buy some fresh hooks. I like #6 baitholder hooks from eagle claw. Buy some water gremlin removable split shot in sizes 3-5. Buy some worms or powerbait. Go out to the nearest open pond that has stocked trout in it, and cast out and wait. You should catch some and then you can see how much you really like fishing. Bass can be kind of tough to catch, especially in clear water like you will find in many places in CO, so stocked trout is a good place to start. Let me know how it goes! Have fun out there.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
izl --- I don't know Denver that well. If you're jonesing to get out though, try St. Vrain state park in Longmont (right off I-25). It was recently stocked, and they're biting.  ;)  If you want to hit some mt. lakes, try Pinewood (I hear it's doing well), or come up to Estes. Lake Estes and Mary's Lake have open water. 
Definatly get new line, if you haven't used it in a while, it's probably dry and brittle. I use 6 pound mono (for Trout). I tie a swival at the end of my line, and put a sinker on that. Then I attach a leader of 4 pound floral, tied to a size 16 trebal hook.
Use anything lite (ultra light, light, light/med) for Trout, and anything med for Bass. Colorado isn't a Bass state, but I think you'll be suprised how many lakes/ponds hold Bass. The book you ordered is a good start.
Good Luck and post your progress,
                                                           James

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Greeting Izl, I am new to fishing too. I fished alot as a kid, mostly in Nebraska. Now 18 years later I am fishing again. I have had really good luck using 4 salmon eggs on a #6 hook, for catching trout. Not just stockers either. Like fishing303 said, "fun to catch, & good to eat" :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Beginner: If you would like to contact me I would be more than happy to show you how we catch Trout in and around Buena Vista within a 75 mile circle. There are over 30 lakes that you can drive to in your vehicles besides high lakes beaver dams etc the arkansas and feeder creeks and streams. I would be willing to take you fishing if you can get here. There are 3-4 lakes that are open withing a 30 mile circle of Buena now. Have been catching Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroat and Cutbows. You can contact me through email or If you email me I will give you a phone number you can call. Have great fishing fun. Spring is almost here and the lakes are and will be starting to open. Should be some great fishing. We use a 7' Med Light Spinning rod with a shimino reel and power pro 8lb test (1lb diameter) line and fish fly and bubble fishing. It is great fun. Hope to hear from you soon. guy montera

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Isl

First, WELCOME to the best darn fishing forum there is!!
If you want to, you are more than welcome to go with the wife and I on our boat on Chatfield Lake (great trout fishing there) for some trout fishing or try for bass, walleye, etc.. Just send me a PM (my e-mail address is in my profile).
We done really good at trout fishing last summer at Chatfield.
Cody
Note: Look at my Invite topic in this Forum (under Colorado Fishing Info).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts