Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fishing for 30 years but have never fly fished. I just moved here from KY and it seems like lots of areas to fly fish here. What would be a good beginner setup to buy that won't break the bank? Also info on what kind of flies and size to use would be awesome.

If anyone would want offer some lessons, that would be great too.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any 100-250 package from cabelas or bps will ne fine, 9ft 5wt is the standard here. Won't break the bank and will be plenty good enough to get you started realistically.

If you ate front range, denver to co springs, id be good with teaching you the ropes, taught many people casting, tying, etc.

Jim ( silent_light )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any 100-250 package from cabelas or bps will ne fine, 9ft 5wt is the standard here. Won't break the bank and will be plenty good enough to get you started realistically.

If you ate front range, denver to co springs, id be good with teaching you the ropes, taught many people casting, tying, etc.

Jim ( silent_light )

Awesome. I am in Broomfield. I almost got a rod/reel combo from bps yesterday, but looked at them and had no clue... Once I get something ill PM you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome. I am in Broomfield. I almost got a rod/reel combo from bps yesterday, but looked at them and had no clue... Once I get something ill PM you.
Good deal ! Im available most weekends. Just send a pm and we can set something up. Ill teach you just as i did when i taught fy casting for LLBean, plus all the stuff left out lol.

One important thing, salesmen will always tell you the top rods are best. Wrong ! The BEST rod, no matter the cost, s the one that works for you. When out fishing, ask to try out a rod a buddy has, most have several. Use that to gage how it feels before ypu decide on a permanent rig. Reels just hold line, so thats the least of your worries.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
My experience while teaching beginners is very similar to golfing. I always tell people to not buy the cheapest rod and don't buy the most expensive rod. Again, just like when buying golf clubs. The cheap stuff usually are hard to use. They are just that, cheap. Hard to work with and often leave you frustrated. The more expensive gear tends to be more specific. Once you become well versed in casting, (or golfing) you tend to dial your game in a bit and find something more specific to your style. The mid range stuff tend to have more leeway. More forgiveness then the top end or bottom end. Again, making the learning process more enjoyable.

As for the reel, at this stage of the game, like S_L said, the reel is more for holding your line. Until you go after salt water or maybe a trip to Alaska for salmon, your likely catch will be trout in creeks, rivers and lakes. The smaller fish don't normally put too much stress on your reel. Especially if you go with a 5wt set up, like mentioned in this thread.

Here is a hell of a deal you might want to take a look at. I would buy this in a heartbeat. Good luck and have some fun.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105571980/cabelas-prestige-ii-combo/1729188.uts#productChart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
And scowl, and tighten up that Anus for sure!:D
lol try a glass shard enema...or put some in your bidet...might help with Slayer's aforementioned tightening...Orvis make glass rods that could be ground up?

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
lol that wasnt directed your way...z goes dark humor now and then...

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is that one I was looking at online last night. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks
How much do you want to spend? I'd say the fly assortment that comes with that package is just so-so.
I think there are some better reel/rod packages at Cabelas to be had.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts