Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I've posted. Nice site! I'm assuming the intent here is to share. My pet peeve are posts that describe or show fish pics but purposfully leave out critical information - such as location. The Red Feather posts by basshunter exemplify this. There are many, many lakes in the Red Feather area so the posts are useless, and even a little inflammatory due to the omissions. There is no need to be coy. Either you want to share or you don't. Be a standup guy about it. Leave out the post if you don't have anything helpful to say. On the other hand, if you state you caught 20 browns on a #13 Gold Rapala at ACME Lake, then I say "Nice job!! And thanks for sharing!" Otherwise, you're just looking for accolades and my response is "Whatever." I'm actually an agreeable guy but if you think I'm off-base here, feel free to rip me a new one.

I did fish Cowdrey Lake last Sat. It is about 15 minutes north of Walden just off the highway. My son & I lucked into about a dozen rainbows between 16 to 18". We both fly fished with a floating line and #6 beadhead black wooley buggers. We caught them between 1:00 to 2:30pm. They were quite agressive. We tried Lake John earlier but no luck. We did see some beasts cruising the shallows. I think L John will be the place to be later this fall and into hardwater time. North Delaney can good too but is squirrely.

Sorry about the contentious post. John

F

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site john....The beauty of this site is the freedom to post as much or as little as you would like...Me personally I love looking at fish pictures so enjoy any post that has pictures. I read basshunters posts and got my ass up to redfeathers and had a great time. The site is a great tool to find hot spots and learn new methods of catching fish, But should never be conciderd a substitute for getting out on the water and learning yourself.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Hey John,I like your style! I also like Cowdrey lake! You will however find 1 or 2 posts by myself in which the name of the high altitude, small ,vulnerable lake was omitted. 99% of the time I post all details of my adventure.Good post and welcome!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice post, John. You go ahead and be contentious, says this grateful reader. Leave the Kumbaya to others.

I like the (relative) privacy of Cowdrey for camping in N. Park, but don't often fish it.

I'll say that I'm always reluctant to post reports just because a report saying I caught a dozen trout on the Big T on Klinkhamer BWO's, RS2's and midge pupae doesn't seem to offer anything new. And I'm not going to report on good, local small water that's not well known.

Your report on Cowdrey fits a niche to my mind: somewhat distant, possibly under-appreciated water, specific method and patterns, but nothing exotic. In the interest of sharing and payback, I'll try to do the same if/when I go somewhere analagous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Way ouch!  Hey, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I don't expect anybody on this site to hold my hand and lead me to an exact spot to catch monster fish - that's up to you.  I will take a report that says the Poudre is fishing great, or the trout are biting up at lake John anyday, thats useful info.  There are over 600 members here - which is a great resource to share techniques and success stories, but it's probably not a good place to share exact honeyholes.  One of the major attractions for me to fish hard in the fall is that there are 90% less people.  If I gave up the exact rock on the exact lake I fish on, I gaurantee that there would be someone there every hour of every day, and the fishing would suck.  The purpose of my reports are to get people to realize that there are trophy fish up in the public lakes in the Red Feather area, and it's worth getting up there to investigate and find the fish!

In all, welcome to the site, and I look forward to reading reports from you.  I'll continue to display "motivational" information  ;) 

Just kidding - steelhead from the Rogue river, OR
                      Red Feather brown 2004
                      Crane Prairie 'bow (OR)

F

·
0 Posts
There are some spots I won't even show to some people in my family ....Some spots are great as far as fishing goes and others its the solitude that I love, but half the fun was finding the spot on my own.

Thats to bad about your wiper spot. Your friends should have listened to you and left. Its to bad that some people dont understand common courtesy when fishing. When I was a kid fishing chatfield I seen my uncle throw a guy in the lake that keep creeping up on us...The dude ended up crossing my uncles line so in return my uncle threw him in!!!!I could never do that but I would be lieing if I said it never crossed my mind!

·
Registered
988 Posts
John said:
This is the first time I've posted.  Nice site!  I'm assuming the intent here is to share.  My pet peeve are posts that describe or show fish pics but purposfully leave out critical information - such as location.  The Red Feather posts by basshunter exemplify this.  There are many, many lakes in the Red Feather area so the posts are useless, and even a little inflammatory due to the omissions.  There is no need to be coy.  Either you want to share or you don't.  Be a standup guy about it.  Leave out the post if you don't have anything helpful to say.  On the other hand, if you state you caught 20 browns on a #13 Gold Rapala at ACME Lake, then I say "Nice job!! And thanks for sharing!"  Otherwise, you're just looking for accolades and my response is "Whatever."   I'm actually an agreeable guy but if you think I'm off-base here, feel free to rip me a new one.

I did fish Cowdrey Lake last Sat.  It is about 15 minutes north of Walden just off the highway.  My son & I lucked into about a dozen rainbows between 16 to 18".  We both fly fished with a floating line and  #6 beadhead black wooley buggers.  We caught them between 1:00 to 2:30pm.  They were quite agressive.  We tried Lake John earlier but no luck.  We did see some beasts cruising the shallows.  I think L John will be the place to be later this fall and into hardwater time.  North Delaney can good too but is squirrely.

Sorry about the contentious post.  John
I feel the  same way John. I'm the  type that likes to share but unfortunately, due to  the lack of info on some these posting I've given up on sharing too many details and sometimes sharing  at all. When I first started posting I used to post everytime I went out with specific details, and even taken guys out. But after awhile I noticed that I was putting a little to much info here and not getting the same back (unless it was a PM). All I'm saying is if I get a little, you get a little. I'll remember who you are. Not saying all but some are like just pretty pictures. I'm sure there are many of us that  feel  the same  way. It's just a personality clash is all. Because of this I don't post alot of hot spots here.  ;) My model is Hardcore fishing and outdoors.

Now you guys hammer me if I being stuborn. It's just me. If you don't like it- Slayers saying "shut up and fish"   ;D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I personally appreciate any info given up on here.I think in the past people were more forthcoming,but it seems to me that lately that alot of people are keeping hot locations to themselves.I loved Basshunters post and gave everyone a chance to hit Red Feathers and try for yourself(even lures used and exact time of month it was hot).I think if we expect too much than we can run off some people that have some great info.Its kind of a slap in the face for someone to take the time to share there fishing experience with us and then we say "Good for you but i need exact locations".I have learned a ton from this sight,so we should appreciate that people take the time to share their knowledge and experiences,i know i do.

lyn

F

·
0 Posts
It just seems to me that location is enough information shared....If I post that bass fishing is doing well at spratt platte am I expected to post my presentation and exact spot? Of course not!!!I enjoy seeing pictures of big fish caught in Colorado. I also enjoy posting them. With so many people visiting the site and not contributing their own spots. I find it pretty hard to but specifics into a report. I've gotten personal messages asking for information and gladly shared, but as far as exposing a spot the the 600 and some odd members and hundreds of visitors im just not going to it. I don't expect anyone else to either!!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
You guys have a very good point there. I feel the same way about sharing to  the whole internet. That's why we should all post to the same level. I  do it. If you want more  specific information  I would suggest you PM each  other. Whether you share  or not that's your prerogative.

I truely wish I could take back some of the information here in the past because of this reason.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Fisher32 said:
I truely wish I could take back some of the information here in the past because of this reason.
Oh boy, looks like I'm going to have to do a full search of Fisher32's past posts (just kidding) ;)

Welcome to the site, John, and thanks for writing about your perspective. I think there is room for all sorts of styles on this site, from the very specific to the general and I agree that sometimes a PM might be a better way to share. After all, there are way more than 600 people READING the posts! The eyeguy style bragging may be a little too much sometimes, but I just usually don't bother to post a response and just leave it at that. I actually like looking at fishing pictures all by themselves without any additional information (weird, I know). I look at the scenery behind the fisherman, for example, to get an idea of what the area might be like if I haven't been there.

So, the bottom line for me is lots of posts. That way, there is bound to be something that any person may find interesting.

F

·
0 Posts
to be honest its also disturbing that this topic is brough up by a newbie....

F

·
0 Posts
you know its very true and I don't post the smaller lakes and ponds that I bass fish at just for that reason. You dont know how eithical all the people reading about your spot are. Even at places like granby I fish from shore and have a few"holes" that I dont want everyone gravitating to.....with that said I would gladly share specifics with the people who have helped me out on here....There are to many to name, But I dont want someone who reads all the threads and never shares information whining about specific's
I've shared a great deal of information on here like so many others have and for a few people to whine about specifics is annoying ....sorry dudes just how I feel

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi!  It's me, the instigator.  First,  please know that I like everyone.  I used Red Feathers/basshunter due to the fact that was the first thing I could think of.  I too have "secret" places that I won't divulge - usually due to concerns over fishing pressure.  In cases like that, you will never know that I ever fished it or even that I know it exists.  I will not tempt (or tortue) you with pictures and run the risk you will figure the place out.  This is not a "holier than thou" statement.  It's just my thing.  And I think I've been wrong about more things than right in my life.   Just ask my ex!!   John

F

·
0 Posts
Im not targeting you at all John....you voiced your opinion and then posted what you would like to see...can't argue with that. I just hope some members realize that if you want more info just pm and that person will more then likely share a little more information with you. You may have to trade some information in return but most people are willing to share just not with the whole internet.....to the people who read our threads and dont register you are turds !!!!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey, I don't feel the least bit guilty posting pics without divulging exact details...If I had just seen pic's of big browns to come out of Red Feather I wouldn't have fished for stockers the first few years I lived here!!! Just knowing that there is big fish potential is a huge advantage!! All the pic's from my posts are from public water, if you do your homework, you'll find'em too :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Back to basshunter, all that was asked was, "which lake".  Honeyholes SHOULD be private, or at least PM'ed.  If we are to get so secretive as " I fished in southern Colorado this weekend"  then I think we are defeating our purpose.

F

·
0 Posts
The purpose of the site is to share as little or as much information as your desire. If we needed to fill out specific fields to get our information out. I wouldnt share any reports! Envy is why some people get mad and frustrated, the rest of us enjoy seeing pictures of big fish caught in Colorado.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think my byte may be worse than my bite! I've got a big mouth and I know how to use it. It's a perfect marriage with speaking before thinking. I'm good at all these things.

Speaking of Red Feathers. It ocurred to me that ice fishing is not far off. I get very excited about ice fishing as it approaches then get sick of it after doing it for a month. (As you can tell I have too much free time today.) Many people are unaware that Parvin Lake (about a mile before the town of RF) is open to ice fishing. For years it wasn't. Tube jigs and Kastmasters off the point of land btw the 2 dams can be awesome. Most of the time we're in about 12 to 14' of water. The browns, rainbows, and occasional splake are pretty decent - up to 20" or so. The average fish size shot up after DOW put tiger muskie in there - probably helped clean out suckers, etc. For amount of fish it's OK but if you absolutely need sheer numbers, go to Dowdy L (just north of the town - maybe 10 min away). The fish are not in the same size league as Parvin but sometimes a guy just needs quantity over quality (especially if you've got impatient non-fishing types with you). I was thinking of ice fishing as I typed this but of course this applies to open water as well. Being that I'm in a rut, I currently favor the reliable black wooley bugger and a bead head pheasant tail on a dropper. Later. John

1 - 20 of 59 Posts