Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've posted. Nice site! I'm assuming the intent here is to share. My pet peeve are posts that describe or show fish pics but purposfully leave out critical information - such as location. The Red Feather posts by basshunter exemplify this. There are many, many lakes in the Red Feather area so the posts are useless, and even a little inflammatory due to the omissions. There is no need to be coy. Either you want to share or you don't. Be a standup guy about it. Leave out the post if you don't have anything helpful to say. On the other hand, if you state you caught 20 browns on a #13 Gold Rapala at ACME Lake, then I say "Nice job!! And thanks for sharing!" Otherwise, you're just looking for accolades and my response is "Whatever." I'm actually an agreeable guy but if you think I'm off-base here, feel free to rip me a new one.

I did fish Cowdrey Lake last Sat. It is about 15 minutes north of Walden just off the highway. My son & I lucked into about a dozen rainbows between 16 to 18". We both fly fished with a floating line and #6 beadhead black wooley buggers. We caught them between 1:00 to 2:30pm. They were quite agressive. We tried Lake John earlier but no luck. We did see some beasts cruising the shallows. I think L John will be the place to be later this fall and into hardwater time. North Delaney can good too but is squirrely.

Sorry about the contentious post. John

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!  It's me, the instigator.  First,  please know that I like everyone.  I used Red Feathers/basshunter due to the fact that was the first thing I could think of.  I too have "secret" places that I won't divulge - usually due to concerns over fishing pressure.  In cases like that, you will never know that I ever fished it or even that I know it exists.  I will not tempt (or tortue) you with pictures and run the risk you will figure the place out.  This is not a "holier than thou" statement.  It's just my thing.  And I think I've been wrong about more things than right in my life.   Just ask my ex!!   John

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think my byte may be worse than my bite! I've got a big mouth and I know how to use it. It's a perfect marriage with speaking before thinking. I'm good at all these things.

Speaking of Red Feathers. It ocurred to me that ice fishing is not far off. I get very excited about ice fishing as it approaches then get sick of it after doing it for a month. (As you can tell I have too much free time today.) Many people are unaware that Parvin Lake (about a mile before the town of RF) is open to ice fishing. For years it wasn't. Tube jigs and Kastmasters off the point of land btw the 2 dams can be awesome. Most of the time we're in about 12 to 14' of water. The browns, rainbows, and occasional splake are pretty decent - up to 20" or so. The average fish size shot up after DOW put tiger muskie in there - probably helped clean out suckers, etc. For amount of fish it's OK but if you absolutely need sheer numbers, go to Dowdy L (just north of the town - maybe 10 min away). The fish are not in the same size league as Parvin but sometimes a guy just needs quantity over quality (especially if you've got impatient non-fishing types with you). I was thinking of ice fishing as I typed this but of course this applies to open water as well. Being that I'm in a rut, I currently favor the reliable black wooley bugger and a bead head pheasant tail on a dropper. Later. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.