Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
G

·
sorry, i didnt read the million posts before mine, just the first few and im gonna throw out my opinion

i saw basshunter's report on RF lakes and said "**** look at the size of those browns, i need to get out there and fish" it didnt even cross my mind to ask which lake or where

i think a person should have the right to post whatever he/she wants and keep the rest to hjim/her self

i love looking at pics more than anything, and though i usually hand out info, i respect everyones right to keep techniques, spots, etc to themselves

i can understand why it might be frustrating when someone has huge fish and they arent telling u how to catch them, but its all part of fishing

IMHO, take what others give and if u dont like it, dont read it, but dont complain about it

and welcome to the site John, I like you and hopefully after I get back from Chicago and throw down some reports with all thje info u want, you'll like me too ;D

but i would also like to say that i just got done reading all the replies, and this report has turned into some sorta of crazy soap opera, and its bothering me....and i cant sleep....so i keep on reading it...

· Registered
24,883 Posts
Wow!

You work all day and go out on the town for the evening and you come back to a firestorm...kewl!

First off fatfish bought his own ticket when he tried to make a coy reference to catman29...that openly needed a wait a minute with a calling out...we as mods may know it is going on...but isnt our place...and I am not getting on Catman29 here...personally I believe he is a heck of a fisherman and gave me lots of insight to things with cats that I never considered before...infact I pm'd him hoping that the masses wouldnt drive him off because he had made considerable contributions...heck I thought he seemed to be one of the few catfish experts we have...the other one hates the Broncos...thats why I like him!

All the pic's from my posts are from public water, if you do your homework, you'll find'em too
...I think that quote hits the nail on the head...if you do your homework...try something different...be persistant...put in the time...I post a lot from Harriman...I worry that I show too much for that little reservoir...so I think showing what is in there is plenty...it gives me a clue to what kind of fish are in a place...and that is all I need...I will do the rest...but I am not going to give out a major roadmap (exact spot/lure/time) in a fashion that will hurt a fishery like Harriman or the wipers at Aurora...I have been skunked plenty at Harriman and it isnt the curse...there are trends like everyother fishing hole...and you have to find them...I dont have to give them out...and I wont unless I feel the location can handle it...

If you want something to complain about...complain about the ones that post everywhere except the fishing report or read the fishing reports and never post their own information in them...those chap my butt...almost like the old adage that 10 percent of the lake holds 90 percent of the fish...well 10 percent of the posters make up 90 percent of the fishing reports...you know who you are!...stop reading and start posting...

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Thanks zman, and thanks ePiC, I recognize an effort to be a cool head when I see one, and I give you credit for it.

Catmann29 was never kicked off the forum or anything, it's more like he was persecuted off of it, to the point where he couldn't even make a simple fishing report, like I caught 3 catfish, without somebody taking a bite out of him. I was unhappy over that at the time, and I guess my unhappiness now is mainly because the earlier situation still disturbs me. Kind and generous soul that I am. :D :D :D Anyway, I would like it better in mild cases of borderline behavior (and mild certainly describes this one) if the member was sent a PM saying hey, you're walking on thin ice here, how about going back and correcting your last post. No need to involve the whole forum, and you can apply a little "steering" at times while minimizing the ripples caused.

OK, I'm off the case, and I won't post in this thread again. Once again I appreciate the moderators being cool. Sounds like I better get my butt in gear and create a fishing report.

W. E.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I don't have any problem with what Fatfish has said. He is Fatfish "now", I feel his reports and comments have a lot more credibility than Catmann29. IMO he made the right choice choosing a new name to get a fresh start, and I let it go.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
What is it with some people that they want to be spoon fed locations? And its not enough to name the lake, they want to know the precise spot. To all these people I say-imagine how proud you will be when you discover your own spots.

G

·
For me finding my own spots in half the fun ....I like to know where the hot bite is and feel lucky enough to know the body of water....GPS come on dudes.....If someone reports that the fishing is hot at x lake just go there .....You dont need that much information after that do you....

· Registered
7,737 Posts
You guys all have good points. However, i'm guessing ya'll have been fishing for years. I, and I'm sure others on this site, have recently started. I also have limited time, I'm lucky to have more than a couple of hours some days. It's been awhile (the 6th) since I've had a whole day to fish. Then there's a budget to consider. Trying new methods means buying new lures. I don't want to sound like I'm whining. I'm glad I get to fish as much as I do.
When I actually get a full day to fish, I want to make the most of it. I do research. I get every fishing mag out there, and used to watch shows. I have books on CO lakes, and maps of nearby areas. I have more confidence in lures/methods I read about here than in mags. Co fishing is different than Texas, Cal. AL, etc... So a method in the mags may not work here. If I can only buy a few lures for a new species (I haven't caught before), this site is a good tool for me.
John's example was Basshunter's Redfeather post. I didn't even notice the lack off a lake name. I've done well at a few of the lakes out there. If you've never been there before, and were planning a trip, I could see wanting more info. There are at least 5 lakes that I've fished up there, plus some that I haven't, and more that are private. I always read Basshunter's reports, and think they're great. However, it's a good example. "Do your homework" is good advice, but imagine trying to master Redfeathers. It would take weeks just to fish all the lakes. (not that I wouldn't want to  ;D) I've caught alot of fish out of Redfeather, but no Browns like BH's. I'm just saying "researching" RFLs would take awhile. Am I looking for short-cuts ? No, I don't think fishing would be as fun if there was one method that would just work everytime, but I wouldn't mind some helpfull tips. My opinion would probably be alot different if I had a tackle box full of lures, a few more years experience, and some free time.
I also think listing the location and lure/bait used isin't as big a deal as it's made out. There have been a few times when I've read reports of slow Bass fishing at a place I also fished the same day and done well. There have also been times when it's been the opposite. Just recently, Scorpion-brsk posted on Big Thompson ponds. He did well, and  :-[ I didn't. I was using almost the same method he did. Methods that work for me may not work for others and vice-versa. When I fish w/ my buddy Will at Frank Easement ponds. I use plastics, and he uses cranks.
Again, this is a forum, and everyone should be able to give or withhold any info. I just feel the reports section should be for just that, reports. I also think a good report should contain all the info. I don't mean EXACT location, but the lake/pond should (imo) be named.
I know I don't always report, but if I catch 2 Bass (remember most of the time I don't get to fish long  :-[) sometimes I don't think it's realy worth reporting. Plus as I've just started (fishing), I don't really have any new methods to share. Also, before I get slammed for my opinion on this. Remeber, I live a little farther away from any warm water than most of you, and not as much experience. So take it easy, my opinion is bound to be different.

· Registered
391 Posts
John,first of all i hope your still a member and continue to participate in this forum!I respect your honesty and obviously you hit a topic that there are varying opinions about.The bottom line is the more sharing of info there is the more we can all learn from each other.Tight lines

lyn

· Registered
24,883 Posts
my opinion is bound to be different.
...because an opinion is different doesnt mean it is wrong...

Yep John...I agree with Lynmack...dont be a stranger...controversy and talking about things is good...maybe more will step forward and provide fishing reports...

· Registered
3,678 Posts
i wish i could go and just catch fish every time i go somewhere, i wish i only had to buy one kind of lure because of expenses, i wish some one would tell me what rock to stand on, how fast to reel my lure in. but this is the real world, that why they call it fishing and not just catching fish. there usually are more reasons for a good fishing trip than just catching fish..

· Registered
279 Posts
I offer my apologies to all for the deception. Like Walking Eagle said, it was everyone jumping on me that made me change names. My posts were unbelieveable, but I do have pics and offer them to anyone who wants to see. I will one day figure out how to post here and am working on it. When that day comes this site will have tons of pictures from me. I thank everyone for their support and would like to add that I LOVE this site and the people on it!

Martin

· Registered
24,883 Posts
Dan tipping hat to Fatfish!
Wow this comes as a surprise...Epic and Rottal keep telling me that Dan never does anything right...must be a sign of the coming of the end...

Hey Martin...glad you stuck it out and prevailed over some of the knuckleheads...we could all be a little less judgemental in our lives...me included...welcome back...

· Premium Member
4,368 Posts
zman said:
Dan tipping hat to Fatfish!
Wow this comes as a surprise...Epic and Rottal keep telling me that Dan never does anything right...must be a sign of the coming of the end...

Hey Martin...glad you stuck it out and prevailed over some of the knuckleheads...we could all be a little less judgemental in our lives...me included...welcome back...

Rottal, Epic and Zman. The blind leading the blind!

Dan

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Dan said:
Rottal, Epic and Zman. The blind leading the blind!

Dan
Which way did he go george, which way did he go.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.