Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after two failed attempts last week, I finally made it up to Bellaire. Got there early. It was COLD and the wind was bowing pretty hard most of the morning and started to taper off around 11 am. Like I said it was cold untill the sun hit the lake. The bite was HOT all morning. I have never caught so many fish ever. If there was a way to knock the 11 mile skunk off mf back this was it. I caught probably 80-100 fish. Seriously! I brought three packs of 25 meal worms each and ran out! I switched to some dead wax worms in my box, action. Ran out of those switched to salmon eggs, action. Switched to 2 year old power bait action! I could not catch fish. Most of the time the jig would not hit bottom. They would charge it on the fall. If the bite stopped for more than 15 seconds you probabley lost your worm. It was serious action. I have read reports before about non stop fish but didn't understand untill today. Fished ratsos in every color. When the body would fall of from use I would just use the bare jig hook. I left my digital camera at home so I had to use my phone. This was the only pic that came out good. It was about the largest of the day.

Most fish were 8-12 inchers. Hooked a few bigger but lost them at the hole. The pic is of one of the bigger ones. I think I landed one about 16 inches. It fought real hard. I've never really landed a big fish on spinning takle before so it was fun. Fished about 10-15 FOW. It really was a great day!

On second thought the walk in really is tough. Probably to tough to justify these fish. You all better skip it and fish Dowdy. I will watch this lake and let you know if conditions improve. DON'T FISH BELLAIRE!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like an awesome day! I've had days like that at Dowdy, but not that good!
Is this lake close to Dowdy, in the Red Feather area?

C

·
0 Posts
Hatch - I must have just missed you. I was there about 1 PM doing a preliminary trip before I take the Scouts up next week-end. I had the same results as you and I am really excited about helping those 25 Scouts having the best fishing trip they have ever gone on. I know I missed you because I didn't see anyone in yellow pants ;D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cptHook- Yeah sorry I missed you. I had to work this afternoon so I had to leave early.To go with my yellow pants I just picked up a sweet purple down vest on ebay. I'm trying to be the most recognizable member on the forum!

You and the scouts should have a great time!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The walk in is not that bad. If there was alot of fresh snow it might make it more difficult. Oh wait I mean the walk is horrible, better go to Dowdy! ;D ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Bellaire Lake is a couple/few miles SW of Dowdy/West. You drive past the turn to Dowdy and West, and turn left where the West Lake sign is. A couple miles down the turn road, and you have to park at a gate, and walk up the road about .25 - .5 mile or so to get to the lake. Don't carry a lot of gear. There is often too little snow for a sled, so better if you can backpack or otherwise carry your gear.

Bellaire fishing for stockers has always been fast when I was there. Fish nail your bait on the drop, and when you reel it up, they will slash at it right under the hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts