Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a inflatable pontoon is considered a belly boat by the Parks department?
I was thinking about a belly boat and now wondering about a pontoon.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would use the DOW ask page to find out or call them but I am willing to bet Belly Boat is considered a float tube and thats about it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i would say with a belly boat/ float tube the clincher is that you sit in the water where as with the 1 man pontoons you sit out of the water

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I E-mailed the DOW on the ASK page about some local poaching. Never did get a reply.
Will have to take to drive to Sinton Road. hate to interrupt their coffee time.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? ::)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The same DOW that introduced the micis shrimp, pike in waters to small to support them and put the river strain smallmouth (red eyes) that do not grow over 15" in Pueblo?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be that DOW.
I have to add the Parks Department.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As long as you don't have a electric or gas trolling motor you don't need a sticker as far as I know.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
pontoons with oars require more than belly boats that you propel with your feet/fins

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Here's another bellyboat question, and mind you I'm not talking about common sense. Is it a LAW that you have to wear a life jacket? A buddy and I have alittle disagreement about this.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i've never known it to be a law. i have never worn one. been to quincy numerous time with mine and never got a ticket. i'm sure if they could have given me one they would have...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went to a state park with a buddya couple of years back. He had a pontoon and I had a belly boat. The ranger came over and told my buddy that he had to wear a life jacket but I was OK with out one. I really dont know what the difference is. Just thought I would let you know.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't know if it's the law, but wearing one is a very good idea, especially if you fish for species with spines or sharp teeth (or if you throw big lures). I used to fish out of a U-boat II and more than once had to hightail it for shore as the ominous sound of escaping air provided grim backgroung music. The cause? Striped bass (and wipers) have very sharp dorsal spines and when I brought them to hand, they'd puncture the air bladder!

Here's another thought. If the unthinkable happens and you fall out of your tube, would you rather know that you're going to float because you've got your life vest on or do you want to play Russian roulette to see if you can make it to shore before you tire, or drown because you didn't have a flotation aid?

Life jackets can be a pain to wear, but it beats being dead...I used to wear a regular life jacket but because much of my pontoon fishing happens when its hot and uncomfortable to wear one of those, I bought one of the automatic units that will inflate if I fall in.

Remember, no fish, not even that 30-lb permit on a fly, or a 50-lb albacore, or the state record northern, is worth risking your life over. Your buddy's life...perhaps, but not yours.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ha! I too have heard the sound of rushing air, as a wiper filped out of my grasp hit the front of the tube, and gently slide back into the lake. (This was @ Jackson). Not quite the release I had planned :eek:.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
state law says float tubes/pontoons or any inflatabe must have multiple air chambers/bladders or it can only be used in designated roped off swim areas if it has a single chaber/bladder it is classified as a swim toy with multiple chambers/bladders if falls under boating regs and as such you must have 1 life vest per person redily available but does not have to be worn these are the state (and federal ie coast guard) regs some parks or other controling agencies may have more restrictive regs for the waters they control

if you are using any sort of floatation device outside of a swim beach you must attleast have a lfe jacket with you and readily accessable it isnt always enforced but it is the law

1 - 15 of 15 Posts