Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im fairly new to this belly boat thing and noticed on a tag on my tube it says the coast gaurd requires PFD's. to me i feel more like im swiming than boating and my neoprene waders are bouyant, beside the only vests i have are quite cumbersome and would be hard to wear or even stash in or on my tube. i haven seen any coasties round here but have any of you been hasseled by DOW or park rangers and any recomendations for a PFD that isnt to bulky that could be worn in a belly boat. what about the newer inflatable PFD's i had heard that they must be worn to count. is that still the case or has it changed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Never, me and my dad use em' all the time, although i think i used a life jacket when i was a little kid
2 things-
makes sure you have 2 hopefully 3 seperate air bladders; I've had fish spines poke holes befor(you dont want to get sunk wearing waders!)(Use a fish baskit, not a stringer; I just use a long stringer with wieghts on it; Some fish can poke it some can't
only problem i can think of is-
They arnt too good for sight fishing; because they are too close to water.
And You can't go too far; and a strong wind can make it real hard to get up current
hope that helps ( I noticed that on my new tube too; didn't even consider it though; I think its kind of a lawsuit thing

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Many waters in Colorado require a belly boat to multi-chambered. Be sure to check the regs before launching!

Dan

·
Registered
265 Posts
My boat has 3 different air chambers, plus the seat and seat back is a floatation cushion. I still wear a lifejacket sometimes depending on where I am fishing and when. In early spring when the water is extremely cold, it could really help you get back to shore.. But I don't think you can get a ticket for not using one. If you have a pontoon, and put an electric motor on it,,,,, Then you HAVE to have one!

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts