Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellas its time to invest in a new belly boat. I've had several types over the years and each one had it's pros and cons. I still have my smaller u-tube style that I can easily put into a backpack for the high mountain lakes that have to be hiked into, so I'm leaning more towards something I can mount a trolling motor on so I can relax and fish; not paddle or row my ass off to get to my spots.

Yeah I know- "Buy a boat". I don't have enough time off during the summer months to make that investment yet. For now something a little more cost effective and compact will have to do (too many trucks, plows and trailers in the driveway anyway).

After a few hours of looking online I have to the realization that I can't make up my mind on which type I want anymore:confused:. Perhaps a few of you can share options and ideas. My budget with trolling motor, battery and rod holders is around $750 or so (at least until the wife wants something in return for me going fishing every chance I can):eek::eek:.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
A little coleman crawdad or similar boat with a trolling motor is hard to beat. Especially if you want to sit back when you're going from A to B. No wader or fin hassle either... I've bought a ton of those little boats offline and I've never spent more than 300. Add a battery and trolling motor you're still under your budget... take the extra money buy some beer and a few lures.

Prices of the better pontoons are too high now IMO. When I bought my sportsman's 9 years ago it was just under 500 bucks. Last time I priced out pontoons they've went up a ton in price. You can always get one of the cheaper models but I've been out on the water with people that have had issues with bladders and what not after only having their boat for a few months. I beat the **** out of my Sportsman's boats(outcast) and after six or seven years I finally had to patch one of my bladders that had a slow leak.

The other option is a kayak! Lots of options at your budget for both new and used.

Good luck man... I was in the same situation and ended up with a Hobie Pro Angler, a little over my original budget. lol

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I'll check out both. Budgets can be adjusted (especially if it keeps snowing-lol)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I've been using a hobie float cat 75 for fifteen years. It's still going strong. I've used both a gas and an electric motor on it. They don't make them anymore..now and then one comes up for sale. I never wanted to mess with inflating..assembly..bladder leaks..etc ...Why I went with the hard pontoons. Love my pontoon boat.

You might look into the Venture Outdoors for a similar setup..Should last a lifetime.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Venture-Outdoors-Modular-6T-6-Rigid-Pontoon-Boat/22228870

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links fellas. LMAO- I've still got to decide which one, but this is helping for sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got a Hobie Float Cat 60 for sale, $495 all decked out, skirt, oar kit, pole holders, scuba fins. Why settle for less when you can get the best. Weight is 21#. Back packable. Solid pontoons. Little version of the 75.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
I've got a Hobie Float Cat 60 for sale, $495 all decked out, skirt, oar kit, pole holders, scuba fins. Why settle for less when you can get the best. Weight is 21#. Back packable. Solid pontoons. Little version of the 75.
you got pics Norm?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I searched for a Hobie pontoon for a while before I ended up buying my first kayak. For me it would be the only way I'd stay in a pontoon boat... over the years I just got tired of inflating, deflating, worrying about puncturing a pontoon near cover, etc. If I was to buy another pontoon it would be a Hobie, that's it.

I've had Creek Company boats in the past and they make a hell of a product. Their customer service is top notch too! If they ever get into the kayak game I'd be all over it.

Good luck if you keep an eye on craigslist sooner or later you'll find a deal you can't pass up. I bought my Coleman Crawdad new condition with a battery and trolling motor for 150.... Had to drive a few hours to get it, but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
can the 60 handle more or less than the 75? bc that 75 pictured is about scuttled. submatoon?
no but really, a pontoon sounds like itd be something for you OP. a good 9 foot pontoon can troll all day on 1 with a 35# troller, on 1. they come with transport wheel, and are more efficient than pondprowlers. those are two person digs, high hydrodynamic drag and chew up batteries. you can carry a toon most anywere. and troll using your fin as a rudder all day.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
can the 60 handle more or less than the 75? bc that 75 pictured is about scuttled. submatoon?
no but really, a pontoon sounds like itd be something for you OP. a good 9 foot pontoon can troll all day on 1 with a 35# troller, on 1. they come with transport wheel, and are more efficient than pondprowlers. those are two person digs, high hydrodynamic drag and chew up batteries. you can carry a toon most anywere. and troll using your fin as a rudder all day.
the 60 only handle upto 250lbs where the 75 handles 350. The 60 is 5ft long and the 75 is 75inches! I would rather get the 75 but they are real hard to find!
and the one pictured isn't about scuttled, that's the way they sit in the water, way more stable that an inflatable!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I was gonna get a toon this fall. Almost got a 9' creek company . A pontoon is more versatile you can leave it assembled and put in the truck or take it apart and put in the car. Options are good-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hobie Float Cat 60

In my humble opinion the best way to go is a Hobie float cat 60. It's light 21#, backpackable, and you can go online and see one being ran over by a pickup. I am no longer able to fish and happen to have one in excellent condition with all the available accessories. Give me a shout if interested.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts