Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in going to throw hardwear below Chatfield one night this week...is it worth the time to go there? i live in Longmont, which is quite a distance to drive...ive never fished it before though, and i was curious how much fishable water was below the dam. i seem to remember reading a report from there recently stating a guy had caught a few small walleye there, but i cant remember. also, can you fish it at night? i wont be getting there until 7:30pm or so, and wanted to stay late if the park allows it....basically, any tips would help, im all ears.......

M

·
0 Posts
Heree is the link to the thread mentioning the spillway.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1114.0

The park is open all night, so don't worry about getting kicked out.
I have never personally caught walleye below the dam, but if they are in there (and people say they are), then I assume they would bite at night.

If you want catfish, go to one of the ponds by the Kiungfisher area. To get there from the Wadsworth entrance, take a right at the first stop sign and keep going. Turn right or left on to a dirt road (or a dirt parking lot if you turn left) and fish with livers, crawlers, or I hear shrimp work. Anything should work for catfish, but I don't know how good the bite is yet. You can also fish the plum creek area by passing the ponds and riving until you see a sign or find a lot. There is a small hike for this. Check the map.

I'm not much of a walleye person, so I couldn't tell you the best place. Perhaps the dam or the handicap peer with leeches on the bottom or cranks.

I hope this helps. Good luck and post a report.

There is a bunch of water below the dam right now.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Rottal,

Check with Zman, i think he had some luck fishing it last week. I was out too but got skunked. But then again I was fishing in the early am and not the evening. From the looks of it the walleye are really starting to turn on at Chatfield. Might be an excellent time to go.

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Rottal

I had some luck there last week...size 9 and 11 Rapalas in both floating and suspending...Rainbow and Firetiger...I have caught walleyes in the first half mile...it had slowed a little last week when I went because they werent running as much water out and it had dropped about a foot and a half...but run off is starting and maybe they started it up again...the more it is raging the better it seems...make sure you reel them all the way back...after it got dark a majority of the strikes came as lifting the lure out of the water...I got smart towards the end and let it sit for a second...caught a couple that way...jigs are a good way to go too...although my jig fish skills need help...thankfully I think John at the Aurora Gander Mountain has given me some really good pointers...so I am eager to try them out...if I were you I would get my butt out to Aurora and throw that Clouser Minnow at the wipers before they dissapear to the depths...with your skills at Union you might do well...I think you would...approach it like you fishing for spooky spring creek trout...make sure you have plenty of backing on your fly rod...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. i posted a report if you care to see how i did. i didnt slay them, but i didnt get skunked either....

yeah Zman, i think i might take a trip out to aurora..possibly thursday for a bit...if the weather holds.....at least maybe i will get to see some big wipers, even if i dont catch them....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts