Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished below Chatfield Res on Tuesday night. I got there about 7pm after work, and took a short walk down to below the dam. the water was moving long there at a pretty good rate, and was a bit off color. i saw a few people fishing on the rocks down the shoreline, and it looked like some were hooking up. i fished for awhile with a dark green jig, and caught one long skinney walleye about of 18 inches. a while later i switched colors (i ended up fishing watermelon, white, chartruese, and yellow) but only had a few small bumps and one possible hook up which i lost after about 5 seconds. if you go i would suggest tipping your jigs with leeches or crawlers, this might improve your hookup rate. i changed to a Rat-L-Trap shortly after it got dark, and hooked one smallmouth of about 9 inches. that was it for the evening. i took a hike downsteam to see if there were any other holes that might hold a walleye or two, but it was pretty dark by then and i didnt see much that looked too worthy of fishing at that time. the water was flowing pretty fast, and the brush was thich so it was hard to tell without blasting a flashlight everywhere so i turned around and headed back upstream. i got back to the dam and pent a few moments talking to a few people before i left. i noticed some people catching and keeping everything, this always irritates me. when you confront them about it, they act like they didnt know they were breaking any rules or dont understand you. uh, yeah, go figure. anyways, i left at around 10 pm. i caught a couple so i cant complain, it was my first fishing trip at Chatfield...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol..that might be a tough one, im sure more than one guy has already tried it. when you can see the fish, generally they can see you...and act accordingly. (hence the reason why they are so difficult to catch...)

if i were to try it i would go on an overcast day, either early morning or evening...and stay low wearing darker colored clothing using a longer fluorocarbon leader/tippet with perhaps a clear tip line. middle of the day? well, that can be very tough, especially when its bright outside and you are standing on a dam and are highly visible. ive never fished Aurora though, so i cant tell you exactly. as far as flies...perhaps downsizing some to a smaller pattern, and casting well beyond the fish when you do spot them so you can strip your fly past them as they cruise by. ill have to give it a try and let you know if it all works....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts