Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished below Pueblo Dam on Thanksgiving. Water level low around 100cfs. Size 20 BWO coming off all day. Lots of fish rising constantly. It was excellent for pelletheads and the weather just made it that much better.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
How'd you do? as in how many did you catch? What size were they? I'm still to sick to go fishing, I was planning on fishing all day on Thanksgiving waiting for the turkey to cook at the in-laws. Glad someone was able to get out and enjoy it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did I do?  I rarely judge a day based on how many or how big I caught.  I think I landed a dozen, and lost three or four times that many.  These small, size 20/22 flies make it hard to stick'em.  I'm used to size 14 in Oregon.

Went again this morning, Saturday.  The BWO were out pretty good till about noon when the wind kicked up and the hatch faltered.  I did manage a few 12"ers and a few smaller ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
its always nice to beable to catch some fish. unlike myself i keep catching the skunk :mad: what waters did you fish in oregon?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.westfly.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=4;DaysPrune=

The link above talks about most of the places I fished. My favorite is Gold Lake across from Odell Lake. Lost Lake on the Santiam pass gave me some very good memories. The Deschutes is the best place I've ever fished, fish like footballs. East Lake has some great Brown fishing. At one time or another I used to fish for Salmon on the Alsea and Summer Steelhead on the South Santiam. When it's not raining and the allergies are gone, Oregon is a wonderful place with tons of great places to go fishing.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've been eyeballing that section below the dam on maps but never have gone down there. I ran the Rock Canyon half marathon last year (which is also this Saturday) and the water looked great. I'll be looking at it again on Saturday while running but how do you get to the pullouts? I usually exit for US50 westbound from I-25, then turn south on 45 (I think) to the zoo/city park. Is it better to access the river from the south side or north side?

Thanks!
_Colorado

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always go down Pueblo Blvd to Thatcher then make a right and up to the road to the dam. Do you have a park pass? If not "I have seen" ;) people park by the park entrance parking lot and walk dowstream from there. Better bring some warm clothes, it's getting cold out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts