Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder how much ice is made when the temp gets below zero.

Obviously it depends on snow cover, size of lake and possible underwater currents, but let's pick on Granby.

About how much ice was made there in the last couple days?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I looked into that issue a while back, predicting ice growth based on temperature. It's a complicated formula and I gave up! :D

I just heard on 9 News that the temp in Walden last night was -58!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
From Monday - tuesday at Aurora it whent from 6" to 8",10" in a matter of 24hrs in the exact same spot i fished the day before. I also found that the ice was harder to get thru then the day before...

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
when i started my mothers car and my car, both wheels would not turn at all, the powersteering was froze or something, was whining really loud too :p dang cold, i love it!!!!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
dang cold, i love it!!!!
You had so much hope and promise!...brrrrrrahahahahahahahahaaa...

-58 at Walden...that means in the low spots of John and the Delaneys...it was even colder...

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
And at -58 your nipples would get to the lake 10 minutes before you did!...it felt Minnesota cold this morning...I saw the humidity was up in the 80s too...ugh I dont miss that...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Walden's weather on Intellicast...
Temp was -44 with wind chill at -58

Like zman said - felt like Minnesota when I was a kid.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tabernash actually received the Nod for the coldest temp. It was -49 degrees. Should of cleared up that granby slush for a few days.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
atomiclaker said:
. Should of cleared up that granby slush for a few days.
you would be suprised....that slush is a tenacious son of a gun....kinda like the pine beetles....hard to get rid of...

·
Registered
64 Posts
atomiclaker said:
Tabernash actually received the Nod for the coldest temp. It was -49 degrees. Should of cleared up that granby slush for a few days.
I'm curious as to where you got that info. I am about four miles from Tabernash, approximately 400 feet higher, and have a personal weather station. My low was -33.6° and the mean temperature for the day was -18.9°. I know from past experience that on a clear night the temperature in Tabernash will run anywhere from 10-15° colder than at my house so I don't doubt that temperature. I only ventured out of the house a couple times to take the dog out. It has been below zero at my house since 1:30 a.m. on the first and is currently -24.1°. I think Granby has been making ice and I really hope the slush is freezing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The 400 feet higher would explain the warmer temperature as the coldest air
settles to the lowest areas. I did see a -44 reading for Fraiser on TV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts