Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spooled some on a rod Sunday. Was extra careful not to twist. 2 rat nests. Tried again today for an hour. One more nest. tuinking about ripping it out and putting seagar back on it. I shoulda known better

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Spooled some on a rod Sunday. Was extra careful not to twist. 2 rat nests. Tried again today for an hour. One more nest. tuinking about ripping it out and putting seagar back on it. I shoulda known better
Spinning or baitcaster?
I have been dropping my spool of fresh VANISH into a bowl of hot water for 5-10 mins. before using it.. (after spooling, of course)
It really helps...

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
yah I broke off some pig eyes couple years ago icing the crack. 10 lb vanish leaders. Changed to Pline and had no more trouble. AlthoughI didn't hook into those pigs again-that really pissed me off.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Just handline with steel cable and a few milk jugs

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I think Bernie uses 10 lb Vanish as leader material for some pretty big lakers and I dont remember him having issues ever...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sucks slayer.... Ima try the pline seeing as though it isn't stupid expensive.

Spinning rod. Might try hot water. Well nm. Next place I'm going is supposed to have bigger fish. Not worth the risk

Mine was 6lb test.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I use Berkley 100% Floro with no issues ever...I like it cuz it comes in low vis green...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Berkeley vanish

Is trash.

Most of the people I know that have used it, hate it. I've never used it, but know too many good fishermen that won't touch it anymore. So many other options out there. P-Line, Berkley 100% and Sunline are all good lines.

I think Bernie uses 10 lb Vanish as leader material for some pretty big lakers and I dont remember him having issues ever...
I use Berkley 100% Floro with no issues ever...I like it cuz it comes in low vis green...
I'd be willing to bet he uses 100%, like you do. It's amazing to me that the same company can make such different fluorocarbon lines....what the hell?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Vanish is the best line made!!!!! Is limp and pimp

·
Registered
427 Posts
Never used Vanish...but reading between the lines, drdoom had rats nest issues on a spinning reel. Casting? Over filled spool? May wanna clarify. Line twist can be an issue on spinning gear. Usually get my spinning reels spooled where I'm buying line nowadays.Seems to help with line twist and saves me a few bucks most times since I'm paying for what I need, not for leftover line that I have an obscene amount of.

I have been using p-line on lots of different reels/applications for a few years now with no problems after the recommendation of Mrwiggles and DID. Much appreciated. If it matters, I'm mostly fishing it on casting gear.Spinning gear is various braid. That being said, lots of failures/blame can be traced to operator error.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never used Vanish...but reading between the lines, drdoom had rats nest issues on a spinning reel. Casting? Over filled spool? May wanna clarify. Line twist can be an issue on spinning gear. Usually get my spinning reels spooled where I'm buying line nowadays.Seems to help with line twist and saves me a few bucks most times since I'm paying for what I need, not for leftover line that I have an obscene amount of.

I have been using p-line on lots of different reels/applications for a few years now with no problems after the recommendation of Mrwiggles and DID. Much appreciated. If it matters, I'm mostly fishing it on casting gear.Spinning gear is various braid. That being said, lots of failures/blame can be traced to operator error.
yeah im casting on it. stopped spooling 1/8 of an inch away from the edge of the spool. the operator error thing is a fact jack.... lol. before the vanish, i had seaguar on it that i also spooled on myself. casted more times and never had one nest. i imagine that eliminates most possibility for operator error.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Spinning reels don't really like Fluoro. Try using Nanofil or Some sort of braid, with a Fluoro leader. Might not have as many issues.

Edit: Vanish still sucks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts